+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Line Cut at Knot

Hybrid View

1. Default Line Cut at Knot

From time to time I think my line is breaking at the fly. I think it might be the knot intself cutting the line. It has happened with different knots. Has anyone experienced this and know of a way to prevent it?

Could you be more exact please. No one I know ties the line directly to the fly.

3. Default

I mean that my tippet appears to break at the knot that attaches it to the eye of the fly hook.

I believe that there are two reasons this happens1. Friction (heat) when the knot is tied and 2. The line gets a nick in it when you tie the knot.

Friction causes heat buldup which in turn weakens the leader. By moistening the knot before tightening this is partially eliminated. Also by tying a knot with a high leader strength retention this can be lessened. There has been several threads recently on this subject.

Also you can, and I have, nicked the leader when tying the knot. This is done by not making sure that the knot is not touching that part of the eye of the hook that is slightly open. That end can be sharp.

Hopefully some others can add some thoughts to your question.

Tim

I would have to agree that the knot is probably the problem. Make sure that the entire knot is moistened before you cinch it down. It makes a world of difference.....especially on light tippets.

Brian

6. Default

Do any of you think it could also be due to pulling on the tag end too much or too little before pulling on the line to finish tightening the knot. I typically attach my fly with either an improved clinch or a sliding surgeons knot?

+ Reply to Thread