+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knots

Hybrid View

Question knots

what would you say the most used knot is when tying on a fly to your tippet?

I don't know if it is the most used but I use a clinch knot most of the time for trout. When I use a heavier fly like a streamer; if I feel in the mood I may go to an improved clinch knot.

I know there are better and stronger knots out there but I haven't had enough knot failures trout fishing to make it worth my while to go through the bother of using them. I've had more failures at my blood knots than anything else.

Besides; I can tie a clinch knot drunk with one eye closed and one hand tied behind my back which counts for a lot when it's dark, a hatch is on and I have to change flies.

For "my" tippet, the Duncan Loop or Uni Knot.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I'm with Bamboozle on this one, usually an improved clinch.

This sounds stupid, but the best knot to use is the one that you can tie the best...the one you have the most confidence in.
    Knots fail when they slip, so a mediocre knot tied well is much better than any good knot tied poorly.

I mostly use a regular old clinch knot.
    The number of "turns" you use makes a lot of difference with a clinch
    With a heavy tippet ..up to 20# I'll use only 3 or 4 turns
    With a light tippet such as 6x I'll make a 7 turn knot
    Last edited by dudley; 02-21-2008 at 04:42 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Mudflaper. From reading many of the previous threads on knots I would surmise that most use either a clinch or an improved clinch knot.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post

Besides; I can tie a clinch knot drunk with one eye closed and one hand tied behind my back which counts for a lot when it's dark, a hatch is on and I have to change flies.
    Reading this pains my heart knowing I have a few months to wait until summer...

hutjensmpg Guest

Default swirl knot

I used to use the improved clinch. Like lots of people I learned it when I was about 7 or 8 and going after panfish. But I didn't like it for fly fishing, because even though I'm just early middle aged, tying on an 18 to 6x at dusk was tough... And even in daylight the small fly size was still a bit difficult.

Then I took a leader tying class at the local fly shop and as part of it they showed us the swirl knot - SOOO much easier! I don't see it mentioned much, but the handouts at the class stated that it was a strong knot, though I forget the percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by hutjensmpg View Post
    ...they showed us the swirl knot - SOOO much easier! I don't see it mentioned much...
    since you mentioned it, can you tell us how to tie it? or do you happen to have a diagram? I'm interested in finding something better...

I was playing around with different knots yesterday and I can see where the surgeons loop would give a fly more natural action. I do have a question though, it seems like the loop would get a bit worn down from the hook eye moving around on it, especially with smaller tippet. Have you (Fly Goddess) noticed this at all? I also was having trouble getting the loop to be very small, do you notice much of a difference in loop size? say, 1 cm vs 1or 2 mm (if you can get it that small)...

Also, regarding the Duncan loop, how many turns do you find optimal? I tried it with just 4 turns and it was already stronger than the improved clinch (this is all using 5x tippet) from me tying each knot five times...but I was also having trouble getting the loop tight enough for it to stay a loop, the whole thing would just tighten up.

anyway, those were just my observations...which brought up those questions.
    ~Randy

This is similar to a discussion I was having on one of the other sites I post on frequently about line to leader connections. I've started using the "no knot connection" introduced by Dave Whitlock (see: http://flyfisherman.com/skills/dwnoknot/index1.html )
    Last edited by clarkman23; 02-22-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: cause I felt like it...
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

I can tie a perfection loop in the dark. The perfection is not a great knot, but when it's absolutely necessary, I'll use that.
    Other wise when I need a loop knot it's almost always the non-slip mono loop (3 turns) This knot is as close to a 100% knot as they get. I've never broken one yet.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread