+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel to Canada

Default Travel to Canada

We're gettin antsy to go on our two week fishing adventure in AB and BC.

I got my passport today. It's my first and makes me feel like I AM SOMEBODY, though an unphotogenic somebody.

Thought you might find this info from the State Department useful. It outlines the travel requirements for Americans:

CANADA ? Passport or proof of U.S. citizenship such as a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, and photo ID required. Minors (under 16) traveling alone or in someone else's custody must present written authorization, signed before a notary, from the parent(s) or guardian. Visas are not required. Canadian immigration officials at ports of entry will issue persons planning to stay longer than 180 days a visitor's record. Anyone with a criminal record (including a DWI charge) should contact the Canadian Embassy or nearest Consulate General before travel. U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport. For student or business travel, check with the Canadian Embassy, 501 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20001 (202/682-1740) or nearest Consulate General: CA (213/346-2701), MI (313/567-2085), NY (212/596-1700 or 716/858-9501), or WA (206/443-1375). Internet: [url=http://www.canadianembassy.org:64c08]www.canadianembassy.org[/url:64c08]

flyangler,

Ya gotta remember that that all is written by civil servants and lawyers.

When you get to the border crossing and the customs person asks, ... "And the purpose of your visit sir" and you reply, ... "Well, to spend money sir", ...

They'll let ya right through

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:ad45e]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:ad45e]
    Christopher Chin

Flyangler,

All of that sounds a bit complicated. Bring your passport and when asked why you are coming to Canada just tell them you're on holiday. By the way, my only caution is that you not bring guns or ammunition to Canada. Don't forget to fish the Bow River. Oh, and when you see a speed limit sign on the highway which says "maximum 110" that's kph, not miles per hour. Have fun & welcome to Canada.

Good luck.

Rick

Thanks guys. Still a couple of weeks to go and I'm tempted to start packing, even if I have to take things out, wear them, launder them, and put them back in the suitcase.

Chris- a resort worker with a couple of beers on actually told to us "don't give me any attitude about your great big American dollars" a couple of years ago. Not that we were planning to. I guess he'd had some bad guests.

Rick- we're gonna miss the Bow, but have countless other options. Also, it's hard to speed when there's so much to gawk at! I get a huge kick out of all those windmills near Cowlie.

Is bear spray widely available?

Flyangler,

Wow, ... I hope your run in with the ressort worker won't put you off. In my travels, ... I've "usually" found those who work (and play) in the "tourist" industry are real professionals.

As for bear spray, ... it's been a while since I've bought any, ... but I believe that in Western Canada, ... it's relatively easy to purchase.

'fur instance, ... Campers Village in Calgary seems to sell it (44$cdn for 0.98%)

Campers Village Calgary
    7208 Macleod Trail SE
    Calgary, Alberta
    Canada T2H 0L9
    Phone 403.252 3338

------------------
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:c965c]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:c965c]
    Christopher Chin

You don't need your passport to get into Canada. You need it to get back into the United States. Just got back from Ontario two weeks ago. Crossing into Canada, I was asked where I was from, where I was going, what was the purpose of my visit, how long I was going to stay, and the usual litany of things you have to pay duty on if you bring too much over. I've been going to Canada for 16 years now and have yet to be asked for a picture ID. Getting back into the states has always been a pain at times, especially after 9/11. That year we were greeted not only by a customs official but an armed National Guardsman/regular army. Prior to 9/11 I'd never been asked for picture ID but made sure I had my blue passport with me. Always been tempted to bring my red(gov't)passport with me, but...
    One suggestion, if you're driving an SUV make sure all your gear and luggage is visible so they can eyeball at the border.
    I really believe your chance so being searched go up if you're driving a van or a vehicle where they can't see your gear.
    110 KM/Hr is a shade under 70 mph. Not sure how the signs are in Western Canada, but in Ontario, they have Moose crossing signs in 3 sizes, small, medium and large. Small means you might see a moose. Medium means they're around. Large means it's not a good idea to be cruising down the highway in the middle of the night at 120 KM/hr and not paying attention.
    I've always enjoyed my trips to Canada.

Philly,

Thanks for putting me straight. The last time I fished in Montana I needed to show my Canadian passport to get over the border, not sure if I showed it when I returned to Canada. We have lots of speed limit and animal warning signs in Western Canada. Ours are usually deer & elk signs. The deer will mess up your grill if you hit one. The elk will become passengers in the front seat if you hit one of them. Flyangler, not sure what your route is but be very careful for huge critters on highway 93 between Banff Ab. and Radium BC.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Rick Bennett (edited 31 July 2005).]

I knew you faol'ers would have the scoop I need.

Rick- looking forward to the huge things!

Chris- just about nothing could stand in our way. Attitude or no. We won't be near Calgary, though. We're flying into Kalispell and driving up to the Pass. Beautiful! We have not "needed" bear spray in the past 3 years, but noted that our guide, the one day we splurged on one, wore a big conspicuous can of it on his belt.

Ironically, a woman was attacked by a black bear about one hour's drive from here. She survived after her mastiff/boxer cross drew the bear away a few times only to have it return to attack her. She did the heavy lifting herself, punching the bear in the face and hitting it with a stick until it gave up and left.

So I guess the unusual part of our trip will be mountains, bullys and cutts! Oh my! And Loonies, Toonies and colorful money.

One more question for now: Should we wait until we get there to change money or find a place locally? Our local banks don't offer this service, so it's not going to be a matter of avoiding a service charge by doing it here. Usually we use our credit cards and the exchange is automatic and free, but I like cash for tips and little grocery stores.

Fly,

I guess you should do that as soon as possible once arriving.

Most airports have exchange offices, ... or any bank in canada will do it.

Note: banks and exchange offices often aren't open late, evenings or weekends.

------------------
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:309e2]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:309e2]
    Christopher Chin

It's always been my understanding that you get a better exchange rate by waiting to change your money when you get there, than doing it here. I never really looked into this myself, but was told this by a friend who travels extensively. Have a great trip! I'm so jealous.

+ Reply to Thread