+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Website Up

Default Website Up

Hey everyone, just published my fly website. I am running a small fly tying business on the side. The flies pictured are very minimal now, but as time goes on and orders are placed pictures will be added. Please feel free to tell me what you think about the flies, pricing, web layout, and grammar. If you have any questions or wish to place an order feel free to ask. Thanks!!

http://rocking-b-flies.tripod.com/

~Dave
    Last edited by RockinB; 02-21-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Blog Entries

One thing about the Adsense thing by google at the top of your website.

Yes you get payed on a per click basis, But the ads they are putting up there, some are for selling flies at cheaper prices, Albeit poorly tied, but Some people are budget minded and might click those instead of purchase from your sight.

Nice setup on the site though! Very easily navigated and it isn't weighed down with crap(Pictures and stupid things on the homepage) making it fast.

Nice Job!
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

RockinB;
    You should consider becoming a Sponsor for this site. We tend to look to the Sponsors for gear first.

Nice site, dump the ads. Your prices are higher then Orvis then you tack on another $5.50 for shipping. Your not being very competitive, in a competitive world. Most guys buying online flies are looking for bargains, your prices are the highest I've seen, most online flies sell for under $10 a dozen, most with free or low shipping costs.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Nice site, dump the ads. Your prices are higher then Orvis then you tack on another $5.50 for shipping. Your not being very competitive, in a competitive world. Most guys buying online flies are looking for bargains, your prices are the highest I've seen, most online flies sell for under $10 a dozen, most with free or low shipping costs.
    Thanks Ray. My prices where strictly guesses as of now. Just lowered them, and after doing some figuring decided that I can cover all shipping costs. Thanks!
    Custom Flies: FREE Shipping
    http://rocking-b-flies.tripod.com/

Smart move. Good luck.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

checked it out...good luck with that....I too sell flys but dont really try to right now but I do get orders and sell in groups of 10...its not a $$$ deal so much but it does help...saltwater flys demand more money...what people have said here is basically true...you simply cant compete with the overseas tyers for price but dont let that bother you..it has been my experience that if YOU get nice fish often enough somebody will ask you for your secrets...this sets up where you start to make sales of you ORIGINAL patterns as well...this is just my opinion and I myself am in the process of submitting some flys to companys interested....dont worry about nay sayers because you have already taken the plunge

Quote Originally Posted by RockinB View Post
    Thanks Ray. My prices where strictly guesses as of now. Just lowered them, and after doing some figuring decided that I can cover all shipping costs. Thanks!

The best way to set prices is to figure costs. I know down to the tenth of a penny how much each of my flies cost. The I figure I need to make XX an hour for my effort. So If I can do XX an hour @ XX cost + XX an hour divided by XX flies an hour = price. I try to keep my flies as close to 25 cents or less each. Some flies make me more money than others. This is my 4th year in the commercial fly biz I profit enough to fund my fly habits and pay for the family vacations in cash. It will never be a full time job.
    day5flies.com warmwater DVD is now available!

+ Reply to Thread