+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishpond Open Range Vest

Hybrid View

Smile Fishpond Open Range Vest

I searched and couldn't find any threads on this pack/vest. I am seriously considering purchasing the Fishpond Open Range Vest Pack. Does anyone have experience with this particular vest/pack?
    Thanks

Yeah, I used that vest all last year. It's a great vest and I'm happy with it. It's not short enough for deep wading, so I did pick up a minimalist shorty for the few larger rivers I sometimes fish. I did make a couple easy modifications to suit my own needs. The two most outer pockets that basically are zip down fly boxes made it too bulky and were in the way of my forearms. They can be easily removed by cutting the stitching and the results are so clean, you'll never know they were there. There are plenty of other pockets for all my fly boxes. The two outer side pockets interfered in the same way with my arm movement. I had to cut those out leaving the stitching in, so it's not quite as clean. Just keep in mind if ya try it on in a shop that when you load it with your gear, those pockets will be pushed out farther, possibly more than you would like.

After removing some pockets-

Also, it only comes in one color for 2008 and it's not a color I would buy. Maybe you could find a holdover on one of the old colors.
    Last edited by Mark Griffin; 02-20-2008 at 05:13 PM.

Smile Marsh/Slate

Hi Mark: They have Marsh and Slate colors this year. But, if I have to cut those pockets out I'd probably better go with another vest/pack. I never thought about those pcokets sticking out so far. I was going to go for the one with the back pack but I thought it might be too much for day trips. I really like the Orvis Tack L. I'd just like to try somoething different.

I have a litle cheap vest I picked up at Bass Pro a couple years back that has served me well. I had my net in the back pocket with the loop attached to the D ring. The net snagged on a branch and ripped part of the pocket but nothing a needle and thread couldn't fix (ugly but still works).

I have been looking into a new vest for this season and one with enough storage to put a few snacks and a rain coat. My son and I are going to Yellowstone in July and a little rain jacket for us would be a good thing to pack along.

I too am concerned about the overall bulk of the fishpond vests compared to a standard vest.

Oh the decisions.

Jeff

LastChance;
    Unless you're really settled on the model you've chosen, you might take a look at the "Sagebrush" vest, by Fish Pond. I've worn enough, different, vests and chest packs over the years to start my own shop, but sold off all the collection once I tried out the Sagebrush.
    More than enough pockets, ( I carry a minimum of 11 fly boxes and still have empty pockets), being MESH it's great for summer time and large enough and adjustable, enough, to fit over winter time fishing clothes too.
    Great, padded, shoulder straps which also adjust to distribute how the vest rides on your shoulders, when/if it's loaded down.
    Only one of the "fold down drier/patch" pockets on this model it's up high so out of the way.
    Just a really well designed and very accommodating piece of equipment, in my opinion!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Sagebrush

Hi Flybinder: I'm not set on it. I looked at the Sagebrush online but haven't seen any in person. Like all people, I tend to carry too many flies, and I thought maybe the Sagebrush didn't have enough pockets. Does it fit a raincoat, sandwiches, etc. for a day trip? Is there room for 4 or 5 spools of tippet, gink, shot, nippers, forceps? Is that asking too much of a vest? LOL!

I second the Fishpond Sagebrush vest!

I love the mesh vest and the pockets are just enough for me. The single zip down fly box is awesome and it is very comfortable. The one thing I find is that the vest is a little forward heavy sometimes, but the back pockets can really equal out the weight. It doesnt put pressure on the back of the neck like most vests, which is good. I find that fishpond makse some really well thought out products.

+ Reply to Thread