+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Age of South Bend 59-9?

Hybrid View

Default Age of South Bend 59-9?

I picked up a sweet old South Bend model 59-9 bamboo rod last weekend at a swap meet. Several hours of internet reseach since then has produced some interesting information on the rod (i.e. a "bass weight" that sold for $9.65 in 1942, etc.). From the information I found, it probably was built post-war, but none of the sites I found mentioned when this model went out of production.

My rod has the "Comficient" cork grip (with sticker), what appears to be a red agate stripping guide, and a rectangular South Bend sticker on the rod shaft just above the grip. The up-locking reel seat shaft is a burgundy color and appears to be either plastic or bakelite -- I don't know how to tell the difference.

Anyone have any idea when South Bend might have made this rod or when they stopped making this model? The very thought that I might fish this summer with a rod as old as I am just tickles me!

Michael Sinclairs' Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook has South Bend #59 bass rods from 1936, '42, '49 & '51 listed. Comficient grip was first used in about 1939, after WWII the oval decal was changed to a yellow rectangle. A longer narrow rectangle decal with Made By/South Bend was used after that when fiberglass rods were introduced because of skinny rods. Color of wraps & hardware might date the rod better.

+ Reply to Thread