+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loop

Hybrid View

Default Loop

I bet this topic has come up a lot, and is a reocurring thread. But since I couldnt find a thread about it on here, and trying to find websites about this (when I have no experience with them) is not too productive. I have 6 lines that I want to change over, so a fast loop would be great!

Since I have started to use furled leaders, I no longer cna nail knot my line to my leader.

How can I put a loop in my fly line that is, easy, and strong?

I have seen ones that use 15lb mono that you thread through the line, but is that strong? Since I dont have expereince what do you guys do?

Oh also could I use a nail knot to join a loop of backing to the line? Or strip the coating and tie a perfection loop in the flyline core??

thanks for your help,

Fly Tyer;
    The Castwll Knot for leader to Line conection. A loop in the fly line will also help make changes quickly.

To use that knot, you need a loop in the leader. I am not sure that knot is OK to tie to a 'soft' leader'. It is fine with mono or gut, but thread? Maybe not.

Fly Tyer -

Go to the "Learning Experience" forum. Scroll down to "slip on leader loops" by bugman. There is quite a discussion there about what kind of connection to have between your flyline and leader. Should answer most of the questions you have.

Personally, I prefer the braided loops. They are adequate for the kind of fishing I do ( trout ) and work well with the furled leaders I build with thread.

John
    The fish are always right.

Here are two links that illustrate very good ways to put loops on your flyline. I personally use double catch braided loops per the 'Getting looped' article. I also put them on the backing end of the fly line for easy line changes.

www.flyfisherman.com/skills/erloops/index2.html
    www.danblanton.com/gettinglooped.html

thanks,

that givrs me some to chew on. I am linking the nail knot and perfection look idea, but the nail knot can be a pain.

Thanks again, I will let you know what i choose.

Default Whipped Loop

Fly Tyer,
    Use a whipped loop . Easy to do, slips easily through the guides ,and you can use it with any knot system, Use it on both ends of your fly line. See any of Lefty Kreh's tips to fix it up in five minutes.
    BWO.20

That whipped loop looks good, one place said it fails easily. I was thinking using an albright knot in stead of a nail knot and then making a loop. That may work well.

that cast well knot is wicked!!!! i dont think it will wont on the furled leader though

too bad!! a simple fast strong knot that you can tie when your fingers are frozen from fishing, is a good one to have under the belt.

Fly Tyer;
    The Castwell Knot (Weavers Bend) works very well with Mono & Thread furled leaders. It's the only leader to line attachment I use.
    It goes through the guides nicely also.

+ Reply to Thread