Alright, I warned you guys, here's a question for you.
I went for a drive and conveniently ended up at a tool warehouse. I looked around for a low RPM electric motor. Among a pile of 12 V motors, I found a sealed 40 RPM 115 V little critter which I thought would do the trick, am I right? the price was definitely affordable ($7). The little guy has two wires coming out of one end, which I would assume would be connected to an on/off switch, then this switch would be wired to a power source (outlet). Note here I am not the handiest guy around, but to me anyways, this makes sense, am I correct?. The other end of the motor has a "stem" sticking out of it which I believe should turn once power is supplied to the motor, now question # 2: How do you go about connecting this "stem" to the rod blank you are turning? do you make a thingymabob/gadget/coupling/chuck or whatever you may want to call it to connect it to the blank you are turning (drying)? Oh yeah, one more question, the motor would be NOT attached to the rod wrapper, but rather to a separate stand, right?
I didn't buy the motor, pending your comments.
Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Saltamontes

If this motor I found is too much, what "old" kitchen appliance should I dismantle, not sure about a blender as it would have multiple speeds and likely some complicated wiring, how about an old microwave with a turntable?