+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the streams

Hybrid View

Default On the streams

Thought I would makes the guys thats surounded by snow at the moment a bit jealous....
    Was on our streams yesterday.

Hey morneb,

Man that's some great looking water and fishing country, wish I could join you. How about sharing some pics of the fish that you're catching out of that beautiful stream?

The water looks a little tannic in color, or is it the greenery in the water causing it to appear that way?

Anyways, thanks for sharing the awesome photos.

Terry

Thanks, Morneb!
    That is some GORGEOUS country side!
    I, too, had some very pretty pictures of my local waters here at the beach, from my most recent fishing outing.
    But, wouldn't ya' know it.......... EVERY picture, I'd taken, was RUINED by all that water all over my camera lens from those pesky fish that wouldn't hold still as I landed them and tried to take pics at the same time! Darn!
    A few, that I tried to take pictures of though, DIDN'T splash my camera but they were just too BIG to fit into the frame all at one time and fish pictures are no good, if they only show like.............. 24" of the fish and not the rest of it, right?
    Maybe, next trip, I'll have better luck!?!
    Sure, enjoyed YOUR pictures though!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, ya did it! Now I am jealous. Great looking place, but not too easy to fish, some real tough places to try to get a drift. Thanks for the pictures.

Un fortunately no pics of the one fish I landed. I caught it 5min after we got in the river and felt so confident that we are going to catch lots of fish that I didnt take a picture. Only got one more for the rest of the day which got broken off.

It was my first time on this particular river and it was realy hard fishing and wading. You have to realy fight your way through the trees to get into the river from the road and once in the river you have to stay in it. As you can see from the pics the banks are overgrown and there is just no chance of fishing from the banks. We only fished with dry flies, and would probably have gotten more fish with nymphs. It is just so much more enjoyable with dries though. We only did half of our beat on this section in 6 hours of fishing and there is four more beats to explore in future. Looking forward to it.

Morneb -

Thanks for the pictures. What was the one fish that you did catch, and could you tell what it was that broke off ??

John
    The fish are always right.

How much of the fishing is on paid "Beats"?

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    How much of the fishing is on paid "Beats"?

Alot of the stream fishing in our parts are by Beat. You join the Cape Piscatorial Society and then have acsess to the rivers. We had a problem some years ago with overfishing and people with spinning gear catching the trout regardless if they were spawning or to what size they were and then killing the fish.

Since its been on this system the Society manage the rivers, together with CApe Nature and the streams are now CAtch and release and FF only. Its also keeps the rivers away from the Syndicates. If you booked a beat then only you are allowed to fish that section for the day.

There are a few sections that is open to the public, but these are in very remote mountain sections and the general spinning crowd wont bother to go there. There was some talk (and still is) a while ago to exterminate the trout as they were not indiginous(sp) even though they have been here for more than a 100 years. The Piscatorial Society also helps to prevent this.

We used to have a number of rivers in the area that had trout in them and even one that had sea run trout, but sadly they are no more due to over fishing and polution.

So far the system seems to work.

Since this is Africa, I was wondering if there are any dangerous indigenous wildlife
    left to spice up your trouting or snag on your backcast.
    nam

namekegon- he might be more uncomfortable eying grizzlies in Alaska or B.C.! Remember- he's in the Cape region, not on the veldt. Likely no lions or hyenas there.

Chuck

+ Reply to Thread