+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boats Plans...

Default Boats Plans...

Panman's earlier post made me wonder if any of our FAOL friends had built their own fishing boats. Specifically, I'd like to build one for drifting my local rivers, and I'd like to do it on the cheap (really cheaply). Therefore, at this point, I'd like it to be much more simple than a MacKenzie River style boat.

If anyone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it. I've done the whole "Google" search thing, and I'm not finding what I'm after. I want a simple, weekend project (okay, maybe a few weekends) the results of which I can post here for others to copy. The boat will be used more for travel between likely spots, than an actual fishing platform, but I would like it to handle both uses effectively. I'd also like it to be light enough for one person to load and launch.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

Normand Guest

how about whats called "stitch and glue" boats?? google em up. simple boats.

My first boat I built was this one .

I built it in 1987 using underlayment 1/4" plywood and fiberglassed it with regular fiberglass resin; it is still going strong. right now it is behind the garage under two feet of snow. I would recommend using epoxy now. I've built ten other boats since the first but have done all the rest with glued lapstrake. Harold "Dynamite" Payson is a true legend in the stitch and glue, quick and dirty boats; that is not to say they are not beautiful little boats in their own right. I know, I have enjoyed my Nymph.

Mark

Jem Watercraft is a great site to checkout for free plans and all sort's of help in building your own stitch and glue boats...Anything under the sun is possible, even kayak's. www.jemwatercraft.com
    Last edited by billknepp; 02-16-2008 at 02:49 PM.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread