Ok folks,

Let's shake the nasties. I'm inviting all of those with embarassing/funny moments in fishing to list them here. If it's too embarassing just tell the story as if it happened to a "friend". We won't tell anyone

Here's one to start with.

What happens when you take a fresh water angler who set's a hook like you see on those bass shows and place him in saltwater fishing for flounder with a heavy boat rod?

Well, this is what happens.

Your new father-in-law asks you to come on trip with a friend of his and my brother-in-law. Of course the offer is immediately accepted and soon we're on our way.

Once on the boat I'm asking questions like "how do I setup of the rod?" and "Do I let the fish hold the bait for awhile before setting the hook?" The reply was put the squid on the hook and when you feel the fish set the hook.

So, when I felt the first fish take the bait I set the hook like Bill Dance on the bass of a lifetime. Only I was fishing in less than 4 feet of water with a rod that was more suited for 200 pound tuna. At this point the poor, scared flounder becomes airborne (who says flounder don't leap) everyone on board ducks because it's coming right for us. Then spat! The fish hits the side of the boat with a loud thud! Trying to explain that I was expecting the rod to give or it was the rod's faults didn't help at all in stopping the laughter.

The story of the flying flounder lasted longer than I would have liked. I brought my good old ultralight outfit on our next outing. You know the saying, Fool me once... Plus a flying flounder with a lead sinker and 1/0 hook can really look intimidating at 30 mph!

Now it's your turn.