+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tying knots

Hybrid View

Default Tying knots

What is the best knots to use on fly lines and are quick snaps good to use for changing your fly's

If I understand you question, you want to know what the best knot is to attach leader to flyline. Nail knot, hands down.

Quick snaps? I won't use them. Just don't like the way they look on the fly. I'm sure they would cause a dry to sink quicker too. A simple cinch knot will do the trick.
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

If your fly line has a built-in loop, I would recommend you tie a perfection loop in the butt in of your leader and do a loop-to-loop connection. If your fly line has no built-in loop, I would recommend the Castwell knot, which can be found on this site under "knots".

For your fly to the tippet I would recommend the "Eugene Knot".

The above are only my recommendations for you to consider and nothing more....I am sure there will be other recommendations.

PS..Your first name wouldn't be Devon would it?? By the way..Welcome to FAOL and ask any questions you may have. Someone will help because we like to share.
    Last edited by WarrenP; 02-16-2008 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Forgot to Welcome a new member
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Talking

I think Devon has just come on board. Welcome aboard, just wipe your feet and remember to keep the stove stocked with wood.

Welcome aboard..sounds like Warren knows you & admits to it...that's a good thing.
    I agree that, if you don't have a loop connection in your fly line, the Castwell's knot is the way to go.
    For leader/tippet to fly, I like the Davy Wotten knot, Pitzen, & (for larger flies), the Palomar. All excellent knots that are pretty easy to tie. Just do a google search & you'll find 'em.
    Warren...the Eugene knot?..I have to look that one up as I'm not familiar with it.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Here's your "Eugene Knot", Mikey !
    So, WHERE'S MY DARN ((((FUDGE))))?????
    http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkknots/index15.html
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

Smile Knots

Popperfly,

When a question of knots comes up I usually refer to the booklet called Flycasting Systems by Bill Nash.

Connecting a fly to a leader or tippet there are a number of knots, but four of them are 100% knots for fluorocarbon, which means they are also 100% for mono. There is the Harvey Dry Fly Knot, the Palomar Knot, the Kreh Loop and a Davy?s Knot. The Davy?s knot is a variation of a Turle Knot and that is what I use on all my flies.

Connecting Tippets to Leaders, Bill Nash lists three that are 100% for fluorocarbon, King Sling, the Kreh Loop and the Bimini Twist. I don?t use any of those, rather I use a Cinch Tie Knot Tyer (Cabela?s and Orvis sell them) and I tie an Improved Surgeons Knot with it, but I twist it three times rather than two times. A very strong knot.

For joining leader sections, the Surgeons Knot is most likely the best, but then so are the Blood knot and the Double Eight Knot.

To connect either my leader directly to the fly line or if I make a short pig tail with a loop, I use a nail knot, but I leave the tag end about 8 inches long and then tie another nail knot above the first one, with about ? inch separating them.

There are hundreds of variations of knots, many are good, some are ok, others are poor to use. Pick up a book on knot tying or better yet, search the internet for examples and tie some of them. Find the ones that are strong and that you like to tie, remember them and use them.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    Popperfly,

When a question of knots comes up I usually refer to the booklet called Flycasting Systems by Bill Nash.

Connecting a fly to a leader or tippet there are a number of knots, but four of them are 100% knots for fluorocarbon, which means they are also 100% for mono. There is the Harvey Dry Fly Knot, the Palomar Knot, the Kreh Loop and a Davy's Knot. The Davy's knot is a variation of a Turle Knot and that is what I use on all my flies.
    sagefisher ........................
    Bill Nash retested the Davy?s knot and found that the knot was inconsistent with his earlier tests and now doesn?t recommend it.
    I don?t know if you have heard but Bill is presently in the hospital and his family has been called to his side. It looks like he is not going to make it.
    We will be losing another Great. The Knot Guru.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

Blog Entries

Smile Bill Nash

Dick,

That is sad news indeed. Bill is a great guy.

I hadn?t heard about his retesting the Davy knot, but I do know that the Turle Knot that I tie is a very strong knot. I have tested it on salmon and bass and trout. A guide friend of mine caught his biggest steelhead using that knot.

If anyone is interested in how I tie the Turle Knot I can email you a Word document and drawing that shows how to tie it. Many of the websites that show it make it way too complicated looking when in reality it is a very simple knot.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Hey Popper,
    Welcome to FAOL BB. I am no expert, so I'll pass along some advice I recieved.

Get the 'Little Red Knot' book, it should be at your local flyshop. There are alot more knots in this book then you'll ever need. Practice tying the knots, and find the one(s) you are most comfortable tying. Personally, I have it on my desk with two different colors of window cord. From time to time I pick it up and practice. It is the knots you are most comfortable tying, that you'll have the most trust in.

As you can see if you ask 5 flyfisher's their opinion, you'll get five different opinions.

Again Welcome,
    Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

+ Reply to Thread