Thread: More Than Just Flies

Threaded View

Default More Than Just Flies

It was windy yesterday, but I went fishing anyway. My fishin buddy and I were fishing warmwater on Lake Arcadia. The bite was off, but as always the fishing was good. I carry a tote that holds all of my warmwater flies. I sat my bag down to fish around a dock for a bit and when I left walked off and left the bag. By the time I got back, the bag was gone along with 14 flyboxes and all of my warmwater flies. I was angered by my own stupidity for having left the bag but even more I was depressed by the fact that the bag contained some 2000 flies that had been tied over the past three years.
    As I have started tying to replace my loss, I realize that much more had been lost than just a bunch of flies. Each of those flies was tied to the best of my ability - an open wrap in the thread base was never good enough - the partridge collar had to be exactly 1-1/2 wraps and evenly distributed - the paint on the crease flies carefully blended to the color of the shad or shiner that was being emulated.
    Yes, much more was lost. The creations that we tie at our vises are more than just flies - they represent, to a great extent, who we are. It is the fulfillment that we get from tying that accompanies us to the water and enhances the joy that we feel as that fly is offered up to be judged by our finned quarry.
    When I pick up some peacock hearl to add the thorax to my PTN, dozens of other patterns that I lost race thru my head and the task seems overwhelming - and for some reason, at least for now, some of the joy of tying is gone.
    My friends, don't let anyone tell you that it is just flies that you are tying - they are more - so much more.
    Last edited by okieflyfisheman; 02-15-2008 at 12:22 PM.
    Larry