+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Questions?

Hybrid View

Default Rod Questions?

Very often someone posts a question pertaining to "What Rod to Buy", what "Rod is Best", how does "Brand X compare to Brand Y", etc.
    How does one put "Casting Style" into this equation? What are the waters you fish must also be considered. Big water, small streams, trees and brush, etc. "What Action" is a good one too. Soft, medium. medium fast, fast. I like medium action!
    There are so many things that come into play when flycasting that there are no simple answers.

That's all, very very, true Jack and we then wonder "Why threads go on for so many pages, with people often repeating one another, almost word for word at times". Of course, a lot of folks read the first entry, then the last entry then make a comment!? It's obvious, when that's done, because that's where the repeating one another is so obvious, 5 post, back.
    But, I see, as you state, all these variables and not only on rod questions, but also on fly lines and even tying vises.
    Dry fly? LMB and Pan Fish, Trout or Salt only?
    I remember a post we had on this very subject, you bring up on "selecting a rod", about back last September. The thread went on for 2 and a half pages, with every suggestion in the book, until the last page and the original poster, FINALLY mentioned... "Oh yeah, I forgot to mention.....I ONLY fish salt water!"
    Good point, Jack, I hope it helps!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    "What Action" is a good one too. Soft, medium. medium fast, fast.
    There's a subjective term!

I recently went to a BPS and told the helpful clerk I like slow to medium action rods, (in the hopes that would scare him away ). He then proceeded to take me to the "medium" action rods which felt fast or extra fast to me!

It's like motor racing; 100 mph USED to be considered fast at Indy; today if you ain't cracking 220 you're S-L-O-W!

Default reply to thread

the only way is go where you can try the rod youre self and find what fits youre style??

nighthawk Guest

I agree with Jack.

Smile rod questions

The way to buy a rod
    1. Figure out your price range
    2. Only look and try rods in that price range
    3. buy your rod and have fun flyfishing

standstall

+ Reply to Thread