+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Rod wt for Stripers and LMB

Hybrid View

Default Fly Rod wt for Stripers and LMB

Hi all,

I fish mostly for trout in lakes in streams in the Sierras and so my rods are in the 4-6 weight range. I was thinking about giving stripers and lmb a try in the Sacramento Delta may be this year. With the upcoming Fly Fishing Show the weekend after next I thought I test cast rods. Always a fun thing to do. Anyway, my question is for stripers and lmb what would be a good rod wt. (and length) for fishing for these types of fish?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Ty:

I haven't targeted stripers with a fly rod YET but I like a 9'0" 8wt for LMB mainly because I like to be able to chuck BIG flies like hair bugs, big poppers, etc. I do most of my bass fishing with conventional tackle and I know the value of big stuff for big bass and the ability to get them out of the cover when necessary.

I also like a 8wt floating Rio Clouser taper that lets me "cast the big nasties"!

Blog Entries

Tyronefly,
    I use a 9ft 8wt TFO TiCr for landlocked stripers and LMB here. Most of the people that I fish with use an 8 or 9wt. Anything less would probably be too light for the stripers, anything more would be overkill for the LMB, IMO.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

nighthawk Guest

8wt for sure. 8'6" - 9' fast action for a rod. I have an Orvis Clearwater, 2pc, 9', 6.0 mid flex that is great for LMB and should be plenty for ocean run stripers. Nice rod if you can find one.

Around here, a lot of folks fish for stripers with a 10wt because of the wind.
    As recently as a couple of years ago that's what I would have had in my hand 90% of the time.
    This past season, I fished an 8wt with a 9wt line two to three times a week for a good part of the season.
    There was only a few days when I felt undergunned
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Justfishin' Guest

I fish New England shores and estuaries in CT,RI, MA ,NY etc and do most of it with a '9 by 9' and a saltwater taper( short, heavy head) intermediate sink line. This handles most of the fish I catch although sometimes on the rocks at night I wish I'd brought a 10/11 wt.
    If you know that the majority of fish will be in the 4-8 lb class, a 7 or 8 wt will be fine, otherwise I'd reccomend heavier. Over-playing on too light a rod often kills the fish. Besides, a 9 weight really bangs it out there- you can cover a lot of water .

An 8wt will cover your needs better than any other rods.Its what I fish 90% of the time for saltwater here and it does LMB equally as well.You might want to look up Dan Blanton's BB as he and others fish the delta on a regular basis.

If your are going to fish the Delta mostly for stripers a 9' 9wt is the best all around choice. This will handle any fish you are going to find there and most anglers find it a better choice for casting the heavy 27 to 30' LC13 or T14 shooting heads or 350-400 grain integrated sinking lines that are used there. A few anglers with lots of experience with heavy sinking lines opt for an 8wt line sometimes.

If you think you might do more LMB than striper fishing, including LMB in local lakes, then the 8wt would be just fine.

Most delta stripers are less than 20lbs, actually less than 10, and an 8wt will easily handle those fish. You might wish you had a heavier rod if you were lucky enough to hook up with a 25 or 30 lb fish, but with good technique and some luck you can still handle the bigger fish with an 8wt.

If you want to get two rods, get one of each.

When I go up their to fish I usually carry a couple of 8 wts and a couple of 9wts.

For Salty Stripers a 9 wt is the way to go imho. Every striper will not need the 9wt of course, but the ocean front wind and heavy clousers call for it. If you hook a big striper you will be wishing for a 10 wt.

Good luck

+ Reply to Thread