+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orvis Rocky Mountain Series

Default Orvis Rocky Mountain Series

I just acquired an 8ft., 6wt. Orvis Rockey Mountain Series rod in a swap deal. What does anyone know about these rods? Do they still make them? Where does this series rod fall in their line? Toward the lower or higher end pricewise? Lower I suspect.

The action seems a lot slower than what I'm used to.

Thanks for any info. Doublewide

What I recall, about 12-15 years ago or so some of Orvis' rods were offered in a Superfine, Rocky Mountain, and Green Mountain version. The difference being the quality of components, fit, and finish of the rods. Essentially, they were built from the same blanks, but the Superfine was the most refined and the Green Mountain the least. One difference for example, was that Superfine rods had a sanded , glossy blank, and the Green Mountain had an unsanded matte finished blank. I don't recall how the blanks were on the Rocky Mountain. The blank colors may have been different also. The Rocky Mountain moniker may have been used in a different way at different times also.

I have a Rocky Mountain 763. It used the same blank as the Superfine Tippet 3wt. Tailingloop is right concerning the components quality. The Superfines were the premium rods, along with the HLS. Rocky Mountains had cheaper cork and reel seats.

Jeremy

I have a couple of these in my closet to hand out to folks just learning. It's also my favorite canoe rod in 5wt.

Good 'chevy truck' type rod - always works, runs forever, looks a little like that blind date you...never mind.

I lent one of mine out to two boys who borrowed my canoe for a camping trip. Rod came back "mysteriously broken" - sent it to Orvis, and they fixed it right up. That rods probably landed 1,000 smallmouth and launched a dozen people into fly fishing.

I keep an eye out for them on ebay because I kinda like old chevy trucks....
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop View Post
    One difference for example, was that Superfine rods had a sanded , glossy blank
    Excuse me but I believe you recall wrong. Fifteen years ago the Superfine series had an unsanded blank. I have a Superfine rod date coded 97 (11 years ago). Its blank is unsanded like every Superfine (graphite) rod that preceded it. I also have one that is dated coded 02 (unsanded) which is the last year of the unsanded Superfines after which Superfines did have sanded blanks but that series only lasted a couple of years and were replaced by the Troutbum.

Blog Entries

there is an 8' 6wt rocky mountain at a local pawn shop with sock and tube. for $75 (I think) if it was a 9' 5 wt I would have bought it, anyone think this is a great deal or out of line? what price should this one run?

Eric

Default Orvis Rocky Mountain

I have an Orvis Rocky Mountain 8'6" 6wt 4pc that is a nice medium/moderate action rod with some backbone, and is very versatile. It's a great streamer and light bass rod, and also does fine for all around trout fishing as well. As mentioned before, they are built on the same blanks as many of the older Superfine models, but with a little simpler hardware....and were a step above the Green Mountain, or the older Clearwater series, as far as hardware.

I also have an 8'6" 6wt 4pc Green Mountain, which is indeed built on the exact same blank, but the reel seat and cork grip are slightly lesser quality than the Rocky Mountain.

I picked these 2 rods up on ebay in new/mint condition for ~ $70 - $80 each including tube and sock. I think because they are 6wt, they are not as coveted as the lighter line weights and are often overlooked or under appreciated as a result...but they are really very good workhorse rods that are both easy to cast and versatile.

I also used to have a Rocky Mountain 7'9" 5wt 2pc that was built on the same blank as the older Superfine Far and Fine. I sold that one, but still have an older Clearwater built on the same blank. Excellent little rod! There are some bargains to be had on some of these older Orvis mid range and lower end rods that used the same blanks as the Superfines, I tell ya!

Folks,

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Doublewide

+ Reply to Thread