+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Landing Net

Default Landing Net

Hello,

I am looking for a well built fish friendly landing net. I want one that is easy to use and carry but also looks good. I want mesh that will not harm the fish and allow for easy release. WHat experiences have you guys and gals had with different nets. Any really good nets that are not too expensive? By the way I will be using it for mostly trout.

Thanks a lot,

nighthawk Guest

They get in the way. I only use one while in the canoe. Pinch your barbs down and remove that fly without removing the fish from the water. If you must lift the fish just wet your hands and use them instead.

To each his own. Just MHO.

3. Default

Fisknat nets are great. Beautifully made with rubber net bags that won't harm fish or snag hooks. Probably don't qualify as inexpensive, but the criteria of well built, looks good, fish friendly, and cheap don't usually go hand-and-hand.

mAngler

Not too expensive is a vauge term. It does not mean cheap and it does not mean outrageous. An affordable net, something of good qaulity one can invest in, without going down the "custom made" way, where the artistic input causes the prices to be inflated.

cheap by no means, i hate that term because it carries with it too many other concepts.

I agree with the hands method. But I often fish from shore or off a path, where I do not have waders. Getting down into the water is not always an option. Also if i am in a canoe, most the time i can use my hands, but I feel having a net wouldnt be a bad thing. Also I have the fishpond sagebush which has a beauitful pocket at the back where you can tuck a net.

thanks for the replies.

Do you care about measuring your fish?

D,

Not too much, im one of those eye-ball type of fishermen. I eye ball it. It always makes me feel good about myself . Im not too concerned about it, But if it was a part of the net, then I wouldnt complain. I know you can get those things that clamp onto the handle that allow you to measure also.

Blog Entries

Smile FiskNat Nets

Flytyer,

I second mAnglers choice of FiskNat nets. I own three of them and really like them. I have two long handled nets that I use while fishing the lakes in my WaterMaster Raft or my pontoon boat and one short handled net for fishing smaller streams.

Bob Nelson is the owner and he produces a great hand made net. He is using the newer light weight rubber netting on all his nets now and that really makes for a fisher friendly net.

Check out his web site. You can?t go wrong with FiskNat

http://www.fisknat.com

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Blog Entries

I like a net with a long handle and rubber netting. I haven't been able to find the combo of long handle + rubber netting + shallow net. I don't think a net needs to be more than about 8 inches deep. Shallow makes it easier to get the fish out of the net without any harm. Fish get lost and tangled up in a deep net. I believe a shallow rubber net is easier on the fish than grabbing it by my hands. It gives me control and I can get the barbless hook out easily then just lower the net and let the fish swim away.

By the way some States and Provinces have banned nets that have knots in their construction. So be aware of that rule.

I epoxy a 3 foot measuring tape, the kind you find in sewing shops, to the long wooden handle of my net , gives me instant measurement of the fish.

I use my net for places like Rocky ford creek where you aren't allowed to wade and have to reach way down in some cases to reach the fish.
    The boulder strewn Locksa and Selway rivers are another example of places you might have to reach for a fish.

If I am wading or in the toon or my boat I don't need a net the forceps being easiest on the fish.

If I am fishing for salmon, ling cod, rockfish, burbot, halibut that I am targeting for food. Where it is legal I use a large commercial gaff. I have never lost a fish on a gaff.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Tropical Lightning Creations.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~tlcgpw/id6.html

These net are beautifully hand made

And very reasonable price. Rubberized C&R nets. I like the shallow ones but he makes anything. Also fantastic Fly Boxes and wood magnet rod holders and net keepers.

Mention Joni sent you and I bet you get an even better price off the already great price.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Tyer View Post
    D,

Not too much, im one of those eye-ball type of fishermen. I eye ball it. It always makes me feel good about myself . Im not too concerned about it, But if it was a part of the net, then I wouldnt complain. I know you can get those things that clamp onto the handle that allow you to measure also.
    I really like these nets....
    They aren't the rubber ones...[I've never used rubber so can't compare] but these are fish friendly...come in different sizes....I think the extension model would be ideal for tubing and pontoons....

Personally I got the replacement nets in two sizes...very very easy replacement ...just zip on......price is reasonable....

We are trying to develop a lake and keeping track of the lengths is an issue....

Did I say I really really like these

http://www.themeasurenet.com/index.htm

+ Reply to Thread