+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand tied leaders???

Hybrid View

Default Hand tied leaders???

Just ordered the Umpqua tying kit, and a Dennison Blood Knot tool, and downloaded LeaderCalc, so I think I have everyting I need, but I just wondered if anybody has some killer formulas that they have dreamed up that I simply must try. Dry fly, nymph, smallmouth, sinking line streamer, pike, carp?

If you are going to tie your leaders you can add a couple of sections of HI-VIS colored mono. By doing this you can create your own nymphing leaders. You can figure out the depth you are fishing by knowing where along you attached you HI-VIS. I have used them for maybe 5 or 6 years now and when I fish old school (no indicater) this leader really shines. If you send me your address I'll mail you one of my set ups. You can buy this mono line from Cabelas. I also use Trilene HI-VIS in green.

Thanks flyster. That is a cool idea.

Blog Entries

Oooooooooh. That looks good for tying midge bodies....

Ed

On leaders that I'll be using subsurface, I cover my knots with florescent chartreuse fabric paint.
    My version of an indicator
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I like a fluorescent orange thread furled leader although I did do the yellow Stren thing about 20 years ago and it works pretty good.

Sagg:

Try some George Harvey leaders for dry flies. They should be on the Leader Calc spreadsheet.

Default Flip & Lefty formula

I picked this up from Brian Flechsig at MRO and he got it from the boys.

The formula is this - 5 ft. 25# + 2-1/2 ft. 20 # + 15" of 0x + 18 to 24" of your tippet. I also add 6 to 8 " of 25 or 30# Amnesia (Red) at the fly line as a visual indicator. For shorter leaders just use this - (X length of 25#) + (1/2 X length) of 20# + (1/4 lentgth X 0x) + tippet.

For strength and stiffness, they recommend Maxima Clear for your mono and I like the Orvis Mirage for flouro. Nail knot at the fly line and blood knots for the leader are recommended. This works great for getting the line through ferrels and the line is stiff enough that you will not get "hinges" at the knot site.

This formula is suggested for any size rod, only the tippet is customized for your hook size. This baby really helps to turn over a fly and I truly believe it has improved my casting.

raw69,

Thank you for those ideas. I will definitely give them a try.

Blog Entries

A simple one I came up with that works great for me, 3ft of 20lb + 3ft of 10-12lb + your choice of tippet. in usually 24" lengths.

Works extremely well for me and is fast to tie or fix if it gets messed up.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Sagittarius62 -

When I started building my own mono leaders, I ran across some really good information at www.flyfishusa.com. Go to "tackle tips," then go to "about fly leaders." Using Maxima Chameleon, I built some really good leaders for different line weights as well as different tippet sizes. They turned over beautifully. Beat store bought knotless tapered leaders three ways from Sunday.

Then I found out about furled leaders, and well, the rest is history.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread