+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Member Behaviour

Hybrid View

Default Member Behavior

This post basically initiated from "fly Tying hooks for sale" in the Things for Sale forum when a new member joined specifically to sell goods. I know there is another member you'll find in the sale forum that has been a member since July 07 and has no postings other than multiple listings of items for sale.

All this begs the question. What does everyone think of this type of behavior? These "members" seem to be providing items of interest for our members. On the other hand unlike sites that are focused on sales (e.g. eBay) there is no provision for monitoring the performance of these sellers. Therefore, members may be at more of a risk for these online purchases.

That should be enough to get you guys/gals going.

MODERATOR - please move this to Sound Off or delete and I will re-post - my bad
    Last edited by gzacckey; 02-13-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling issues

Caveat emptor.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

I agree with HCR. Jax

"This area is not for COMMERCIAL use it is a service to our fellow fly-fishers. PLEASE EMAIL publisher@flyanglersonline WHEN ITEMS HAVE BEEN SOLD AND WE WILL REMOVE YOUR TOPIC! Also items are auto pruned at one month."

As far as I can see from the quote above, there are no restrictions as to the number of posts someone must have in order to offer something for sale. I'm sure that if some gets ripped off there will be a post about it right quick, and justifiably so. To slam someone before the fact?? I have a little trouble with that one.

Perhaps a thread about a rules change is in order.

REE

[QUOTE=gzacckey;208970]This post basically initiated from "fly Tying hooks for sale" in the Things for Sale forum when a new member joined specifically to sell goods. I know there is another member you'll find in the sale forum that has been a member since July 07 and has no postings other than multiple listings of items for sale.

All this begs the question. What does everyone think of this type of behavior? These "members" seem to be providing items of interest for our members. On the other hand unlike sites that are focused on sales (e.g. eBay) there is no provision for monitoring the performance of these sellers. Therefore, members may be at more of a risk for these online purchases.
    gzacckey;208970,
    In my opinion it doesn't matter when a member joined or how many posts they have! If any member posts an Item on the FS board, it is considered proper procedure to fill in your LOCATION, in their PROFILE, where it says what is your LOCATION. Also it is considered proper procedure to answer any PM's that are directed at the Seller, that way the FS posts don't end up looking like the Sound Off Forum.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Since I was the one who started all this controversy, I have removed my postings on the For Sale board and will keep my suspicions to myself in the future. I apologize if I have cause any ill feelings among this community... that was never my intent. Based on the comments of many, I see that I was out of line in the way I approached this subject, and humbly ask your forgiveness. Mea culpa.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Seems I need to reiterate something I said somewhere else.

I have looked at some "for sales" with interest but not proceeded because of the "newness" of the poster, except on one or two occasions when a reference was provided.

Can I suggest that the moderators initiate a rule that there must be so many minimum posts before you can post to sell? I'm sure this has been discussed before. As far I recall there has only been one "for sale" poster of dubious origin. However, the spirit of this forum seems a little different to most others and I think we are all keen to protect the feeling of security, or "specialness" we have here.

If there was say a ten post minimum and a completed "bio" before you could lodge sale notices, then we might all be more comfortable and avoid unpleasant exchanges based on suspicion.

Someones first posts should be a pleasant and welcoming exchange anyway so this would help ensure that, wouldn't it?

I don't like to see these bitter responses and recriminations from member to member that are outlined on the other thread: especially when provoked over trivial stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    Seems I need to reiterate something I said somewhere else.

I have looked at some "for sales" with interest but not proceeded because of the "newness" of the poster, except on one or two occasions when a reference was provided.

Can I suggest that the moderators initiate a rule that there must be so many minimum posts before you can post to sell? I'm sure this has been discussed before. As far I recall there has only been one "for sale" poster of dubious origin. However, the spirit of this forum seems a little different to most others and I think we are all keen to protect the feeling of security, or "specialness" we have here.

If there was say a ten post minimum and a completed "bio" before you could lodge sale notices, then we might all be more comfortable and avoid unpleasant exchanges based on suspicion.

Someones first posts should be a pleasant and welcoming exchange anyway so this would help ensure that, wouldn't it?

I don't like to see these bitter responses and recriminations from member to member that are outlined on the other thread: especially when provoked over trivial stuff like this.
    I was thinking more of 20-30 posts AND a profile that gave at least "some" info, most notably location. That allows time to establish credibility & possibly even meet some existing members. This is also for the sellers protection...If something is lost in transit (and this DOES happen), the buyers reaction will usually be MUCH different toward an established member in terms of communication, than if it happened with a first time poster. I just think it's a solid practice. Recently, young Mike Murgida (that's how he's listed here) posted "for sale" items. Mike had to change his screen name awhile back, so he appears to be a much newer member than he is. When he listed the items, understanding he was not well known here, he also listed 2 or 3 of us as references who could vouch for him.
    We have all heard of some of the nightmares that have happened through internet transactions. I would hate to see that happen to anyone here. Just suggesting an avenue to make things a little safer.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

For a small fee I will act as an escrow agent.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

My board; my rules. Anyone can sign up and post in ANY FORUM. This last example; a guy is offering hooks for sale from his buddy who is going BLIND. They thought some one of you might benefit from buying them. You seem to have a problem with that?

+ Reply to Thread