+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vises?

Hybrid View

Default Vises?

Hello all,
    What a great site here! I'm a noob from MO with a question about vises. I have been tying flies off and on for about 15 years (the military keeps me from it once in a while). I am looking for a new vise, have been using a Thompson style vise. Any opinions on the DanVise or any other rotary vise for under $100? Or, should I stick with the Thompson? Would like to start tying bass and other panfish flies....

Quote Originally Posted by ty1on88 View Post
    Hello all,
    What a great site here! I'm a noob from MO with a question about vises. I have been tying flies off and on for about 15 years (the military keeps me from it once in a while). I am looking for a new vise, have been using a Thompson style vise. Any opinions on the DanVise or any other rotary vise for under $100? Or, should I stick with the Thompson? Would like to start tying bass and other panfish flies....
    ty1on88,

Welcome to FAOL. Be prepared for a plethora of suggestions on how to spend your money. We have as many opinions here as we have members, and every one of them is correct!

IMO, the Danvise is a good buy for the money. It should last you for many years with minimal maintenance, and you should be able to handle a wide range of hook sizes. You can purchase that vise from BT Tying supplies, a sponsor on this website, and they can give you excellent information that may not be covered here. They can be found at http://flyanglersonline.com/about/bts/

Good luck, and thanks for your service to our country. There are a lot of vets on this site.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Ty1on88 -

Welcome.

Rest assured you will get comments on a variety of vices if you hang around here.

John
    The fish are always right.

From the many posts about rotary vises under a $100, the Danvise is always mentioned. It has a cult following. I don't recall anyone every giving it a bad review. Give Al a call or email him. He is a professional tyer, writer, shop owner and so much more. Friendly as the day is long too.

Oh, I almost forgot. Welcome aboard!
    Last edited by TyroneFly; 02-12-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Correcting my oversight.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Thanks for the quick responses! I will definitely check out BT's and the other links provided. I did another forum search and found a plethora of info. Searched yesterday and found nothing, must have been in a forum for waders or something Thanks again!

Deezel Guest

Well, at a price limitation of $100 for a true 'In-Line Rotary Vise' (ILRV), you will probably not get any recommendations other than a Danvise.

The question is, do you want or need a true ILRV? If yes, than you've just about made your choice. If no, than you can continue to use the Thompson (I've had mine for over 35 years and prefer it over several other vises I have). You might consider getting a set of different jaws for the Thompson including the Magnum and Midge depending on the variety of flies you tie though.

Deezel

TY1on88;
    WELCOME to FAOL!
    I'm just going to "sneak in here, under the radar", and try and get out again before the shrapnel starts flying on your question.......................
    As Joe V. mentioned, you'll get a million suggestions, from members here, because we all have our own personal favorites and personal reasons for the vises we like and use.
    Your question gets asked a lot, here, on the boards and it's a tough one to answer, due to all the variables involved in choosing a vice.
    Hopefully, you're going to be "stuck with it" for a very long time so it's not something to make a "snap decision" about!
    Personally, I like using my Apex Anvil. Great little vice, rotary function, cam lock jaws, and comes with both, pedestal and C-clamp mounts, USA made, and sells for $99.95 most places.
    http://www.anvilusa.com/fly.htm
    I don't own one, but have tied on the Danvise and they're another great choice and you can't beat Al for service, either!

I'd honestly suggest, if at all possible, to visit your local den of evil, (better known by some as "a fly shop"), and ask to tie on a few models they may have in stock.
    Check ease of use, height when sitting in front of it and adjustability to various ways you may like tying. Jaws and how well they hold a hook, and a lot of other features, you may not realize are important until you set down, in front of any given vise and begin tying!
    Good luck and let us know what you finally decide on!
    Also, don't be a stranger to the BB, here!
    There are many vets, here, at FAOL but unfortunately, a lot like myself, served when muskets were the weapons of choice.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread