+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dark Smallmouth

Question Dark Smallmouth

I am watching Video of underwater footage of Smallmouth in one of the Great Lakes. The photographer mentioned that one Smallmouth was dark, while the rest were the normal lighter color. Does anyone know why the Smallmouth Bass is dark? He also said that the color of the bottom wasn't the reason.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Talking Dark Smallie;

DShock,

I am currently reading Bob Clouser's Fly Fishing for Smallmouth and he describes various color and marking configurations as it can relate to bottom color, water quality, and other environmental conditions. It is amazing to look at the photos from different regions of the country and note the differences. I'm only just starting the third chapter and can say that this is an excellent read. I have no affiliation with Bob or his book publisher, just a flyfish'in Ho!

JA

Can't be much help as to why but I've caught smallies that were darn near black and others that were very, very pale. On the same creek. I'm not sure if it is contributed to by environmental reasons, seasonal issues or just genes.
    John

Since I do not know what time of the year the video you are watching was taken, the information I am about to give could be all wrong. I do know that in the spring of the year when the water temperatures start to rise, the smallmouth will move onto the shallow points to prepare to spawn and they will be a light to pale color due to them being in deeper water for the winter and when they move into the shallow water and have stayed they will darken up to blend in with their surroundings. This goes for most species. When you catch one that is darker you know that they have been there for awhile and one that is pale and light colored has just moved in from low light deep water.

This could be worthless info.......
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have been told that smallies will change color to match the areas they have been in. A lighter color will be a fish that has been in/near sunlight/lighter areas, whereas the darker colored fish has been staying in a darker area (under ledges, logs, etc). Natures way of camo for the fish. For the most part, I've found this to be true.

Here is a fish from shallow water where the sun was hitting:

Another fish from the same area that was caught from a deeper pocket under a rock ledge:

Dinstinct difference in the coloration of the 2 fish.
    Mark 1:17

Having worked in a fish hatchery after graduating from college, I do know that many fish turn very dark when they are stressed. I believe it has to do with the chromaphore cells in their skin which open or close like an iris in the eye; the more they open, the darker the fish becomes. That being said, if he caught an otherwise healthy fish that was considerably darker than others he was catching, I would still attribute it to the environment as a most likley cause. Even if he was fishing over a light sandy bottom, that particular fish may have been holding next to a dark rock or submerged log causing it to darken up a bit. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

Doug,

As posted by those preceeding me, environmental factors as well as genetic factors can come into play with coloration of fishes. Like others, I have seen fish from the same waters with differing degrees of coloration, from very dark to very light. Also, I have seen a smallmouth bass that was blinded in both eyes - this fish was almost jet-black! In the natural world, you will find anomalies in every species, including humans. I'm a prime example of that!!

I don't know about color differences in the same body of water. Most fish I catch out of blackwater swamps and ponds are a lot darker than fish out of other water.

Darrin,

Those are some beautiful fish. I don't care what color they are, as long as they are fat and healthy like those two.

+ Reply to Thread