+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What flies to make...

Hybrid View

Default What flies to make...

Hi everyone, in case you didn't see my other post, I'm currently in the process of creating a website to sell some flies. With all the fly patterns available im almost overwhelmed. My goal with the website is to offer common patterns that can be tailored by each customer to fit their needs. My question for you guys is what patterns do you suggest I start out with to list on the website? obviously the inventory will grow as the customer base does, however I just need a few suggestions for tried and true patterns that would work anywhere. So, what do you guys think?
    Thanks!
    ~RockinB

Holly barbless hooks, Batman! You're asking the "near impossible" question, RockinB when it comes to "which patterns to use,to start a new website?".
    Which market are you going to centralize on?
    Warmwater? Bass? Large or Smallmouth? Crappies? Bluegill? Western Rivers? Western Streams? Midwest, patterns? Or East Coast? Trout? Dollies? Cutthroat? Rainbow? Lake Trout? Steelhead?
    Do you tie mostly western versions of the standard patterns, or the sparser "Catskill style"? Dries. mostly, or wets, streamers, or nymphs?
    I, truly admire your ambition!! But, today, with a WELL UNDER-estimated 25,000 KNOWN fly patterns available, exactly "where to begin" without FIRST finding your "market nitch" is going to be a near impossible task!
    I, suppose, you could either merely "copy the inventory of the successful fly shops in your immediate area" and try and compete with them, or, grab a copy of maybe.......... "Flies---The Best One Thousand", by Rande Scott Stetzer and start tying!?!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RockinB View Post
    Hi everyone, in case you didn't see my other post, I'm currently in the process of creating a website to sell some flies. With all the fly patterns available im almost overwhelmed. My goal with the website is to offer common patterns that can be tailored by each customer to fit their needs. My question for you guys is what patterns do you suggest I start out with to list on the website? obviously the inventory will grow as the customer base does, however I just need a few suggestions for tried and true patterns that would work anywhere. So, what do you guys think?
    Thanks!
    ~RockinB
    you may want to take a look at all of the other discount fly web store out there and use one of them as a guide.

what are your fly tying skills and specialties??

what are your target fish species??

heres a few discount houses

blue fly cafe

hills discount flies

roundrocks flyfishing

kbe flyfishing

ydflies

fly shack

etc etc etc

Haha ok had to do a little more thought. I live in western montana and love to tie and fish dry flies. So, obviously most of my tying entails western patterns and dry flies. However, I would like to branch out not only for more customer coverage but also the knowledge of other patterns from around the country(s). Here's a few ideas I had:
    Adams
    Quill Gordon
    EHC
    PTN
    Hares Ear Nymph
    Prince Nymph?
    Mosquito Larvae ( Not named Yet, pattern that works good for me)
    etc....

Hope that helps anyone. Thank you for the suggestions! greatly appreciated
    ~RockinB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RockinB View Post
    Hi everyone, in case you didn't see my other post, I'm currently in the process of creating a website to sell some flies.
    If you have not done so you should read the Al Campbell article on professional tying (you can find it under features then Al Campbell on the main page) if that changes your mind you might consider finding a security job to work. If you find the right one you can get paid to study a few hours a shift.

BTW there are sponsors on FAOL who pay to advertise there services here, be carefull you dont violate the user agreement.

Good Luck

Eric

If you tie (manufacture) flies for resale you might be liable for a 10% excise tax. Below extracted from a government publication.

Tim

Sport Fishing Equipment
    A tax of 10% of the sale price is imposed on many articles of sport fishing equipment sold by the manufacturer. This includes any parts or accessories sold on or in connection with the sale of those articles.

Pay this tax with Form 720. No tax deposits are required.

Sport fishing equipment includes all the following items.

Fishing rods and poles (and component parts), fishing reels, fly fishing lines, and other fishing lines not over 130 pounds test, fishing spears, spear guns, and spear tips.

Items of terminal tackle, including leaders, artificial lures, artificial baits, artificial flies, fishing hooks, bobbers, sinkers, snaps, drayles, and swivels (but not including natural bait or any item of terminal tackle designed for use and ordinarily used on fishing lines not described in (1)).

The following items of fishing supplies and accessories: fish stringers, creels, bags, baskets, and other containers designed to hold fish, portable bait containers, fishing vests, landing nets, gaff hooks, fishing hook disgorgers, and dressing for fishing lines and artificial flies.

Fishing tip-ups and tilts.

RockinB,

You've picked a very difficult path to any type of financial reward.

You'll find it very hard to compete on 'standard patterns' given the influx of nice flies tied offshore by incredibly talented full time fly tyers.

You may be better served to come up with some 'local' or original patterns or modifications that won't be in most fly shops, online stores, or catalogs.

Up to you, of course.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

RockinB -

First of all, welcome to the bulletin board.

Second, I admire your ambition.

Third, you really are up against it, period. Don't mean to discourage you, but you need to be realistic.

Finally, if you really like fly tying and you are really good at it, quality and speed, how about checking some of your local fly shops as your market ??

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck. More important, best of luck pursuing your education.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks for everything everyone. I wont be using this as my only income. mainly something to fill my time right now. I'm not looking into making alot of money, just a little something here and there.

+ Reply to Thread