+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing on a toon without a platform

Hybrid View

Default Standing on a toon without a platform

I got to thinking about this a little bit, and started thinking. do you really need a platform to stand up and fish on a pontoon. Couldn't you either stand on the seat or the frame, or even with a little bit of creativity, build something that you could stand on and attach to the frame on either side of the seat? I've never been on one, so I may be way off, but is this a possibility?
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Fishin Fool;
    Yes I think it could be done. Just give some of us engineers here a chance to look at it.

"Standing up, on a 'Toon", is a lot more risky, than it may first appear.
    Pontoon boats,(all depending on size/width/structure, etc.) are not really the world's sturdiest craft to begin with due to their main design............ "light weight, easily transported, easily handled by one person".
    Not taking into consideration, the large "two and three man 'Toons", but speaking of only the single person models, to try and stand up, say, on with a foot on either side of the normal seat arrangement, would not only be very difficult by design to get to, you would also, then be standing way above the boat's natural center of gravity.
    Pontoon boat "platforms" for standing on, are built and integrated into the boat's frame in such a way as to place the weight of the fisherman's body, BELOW the main pontoon's center line. Any position ABOVE this center line and the boat and fisherman's balance would be risky at best, for flipping the boat over.
    Most pontoon boats are also built with very little room, between the tubular frame sides and the seat's position, usually with not enough room to place your feet
    securely.

Since you stated, that; "You've never been on a pontoon boat", then you'd have to also consider the fact that; if you're NOT "standing on a platform of any kind", then the only thing left is the frame and I don't think "standing on 1" to 1-1/2" square, or, tubular steel for several hours fishing", would be very comfy! Imagine standing on the rung of an aluminum ladder for about 5 hours, without moving your feet!?
    Last edited by flybinder; 02-12-2008 at 05:09 AM.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Of Course why would you want to stand up to begin with?

nighthawk Guest

I want to build one of these:

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/pontoon.php

I do not really care about "Portability" so much as being able to stand with stability. Since times are hard I will just stay with my canoe for now. Dreaming is free.

Eric!
    Now, THAT is just COOL!
    Have you decided on a regular recliner, or are you going to stick with more "conventional seating", when you get yours built?
    Looking at just the "basic" design of that boat, it seems to be one of those "endless possibilities", type projects.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

A lot of it depends on what's under your seat (the boats seat) I know that one of the early Scaddens (Bimini Twist) I beleave, had a soft seat with a solid platform underneath. You you move the seat out of the way and stand on the platform. If I remember correctly it also came with a push pole to maneuver with.

Hope it helps,

Kevin

Yes you can build a platform. I did but my frame is flat on top of my toons . It doesn't bend down between them like most frames so it was easy. 4' X 5' Piece of Diamond Plate Aluminum covered with outdoor carpet to cut glare and heat.

I can't fin a picture of on the water but here is an idea. The water has got to be pretty calm. With the standing plateform and the lean bar it is much safer feeling. I guess I could put a hole in the deck and take a bar to lean against.

I also have a cloth seat by NFO instead of the plastic that you could walk on.

Fly Goddess, I'm assuming you don't sit with the platform you built?
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    Eric!
    Now, THAT is just COOL!
    Have you decided on a regular recliner, or are you going to stick with more "conventional seating", when you get yours built?
    Looking at just the "basic" design of that boat, it seems to be one of those "endless possibilities", type projects.
    A one man toon will not due. Need to be able to take the Missus and others aboard. If I do this I will put extra reinforcement under the deck and mount something like these for seating:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...004000_200-4-9

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...004000_200-4-8

Probably use folding fishing chairs to start. If amy is willing to go i might build a nice cape cod chair for her.

http://www.furnitureden.com/capephotos.htm

+ Reply to Thread