+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Standing on a toon without a platform

FG, Where did you find that? I think I've seen it all. It looks like fishing version of the bumper boats you see at amusement parks.

Max, care to elaborate? I don't think I catch you drift.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. After doing some looking and searching I see the error of my ways.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

On another forum we have a little Canadian that is coming up with all these kewl boats.
    This one actually makes sense except the price:
    http://feathercraft.com/fishboats/index.php

Yeah that one is pretty cool. I'd like that option on my float tube.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Question Fin Complication

As I have always stood in my canoe whenever the situation called for it and have never gone for a swim, I can't see having a problem standing on my pontoon. It's about five feet wide. I've actually stood in my 28" wide kayak. (they said it could be done and I did it but swimming is definitely on the horizon if you're trying to fish.) A breadth of 5 feet gives me ample confidence to stand on my pontoon even without a platform.

Now speaking of platforms. If I was to construct a platform it would mount lower down for a better centre of gravity. Since I am not much of an engineer a sliding platform would be beyond my capabilty and I'm not willing to give up the use of fins for "hands free" fishing. Which brings me straight to the point. Does anyone ever stand on their pontoon with fins on? I have stood on the seat of my pontoon without a problem but I wasn't wearing fins.

Quote Originally Posted by speck View Post
    As I have always stood in my canoe whenever the situation called for it and have never gone for a swim, I can't see having a problem standing on my pontoon. It's about five feet wide. I've actually stood in my 28" wide kayak. (they said it could be done and I did it but swimming is definitely on the horizon if you're trying to fish.) A breadth of 5 feet gives me ample confidence to stand on my pontoon even without a platform.

Now speaking of platforms. If I was to construct a platform it would mount lower down for a better centre of gravity. Since I am not much of an engineer a sliding platform would be beyond my capabilty and I'm not willing to give up the use of fins for "hands free" fishing. Which brings me straight to the point. Does anyone ever stand on their pontoon with fins on? I have stood on the seat of my pontoon without a problem but I wasn't wearing fins.

I don't see were fins are going to be a problem on my platform with the cloth seat. Problem maybe getting up and down gracefully which is where a stabilizer bar of sorts would be nice.
    Lowering the platform to put you closer to the water brings up new problems. If there are any waves or even rowing or kicking hard you are going to have a wet deck and more drag, plus a narrower width unless you widen the frame. Mine is sitting to the outside edge of my pontoons. But again, my toons are 12" diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    I don't see were fins are going to be a problem on my platform with the cloth seat. Problem maybe getting up and down gracefully which is where a stabilizer bar of sorts would be nice.
    Lowering the platform to put you closer to the water brings up new problems. If there are any waves or even rowing or kicking hard you are going to have a wet deck and more drag, plus a narrower width unless you widen the frame. Mine is sitting to the outside edge of my pontoons. But again, my toons are 12" diameter.
    Joni,

Are the retractable casting platforms on N.F.O. boats not mounted lower than the rest of the frame? I just assumed they would be because of the centre of gravity issue.

Quote Originally Posted by speck View Post
    Joni,

Are the retractable casting platforms on N.F.O. boats not mounted lower than the rest of the frame? I just assumed they would be because of the centre of gravity issue.

They are, but it is just a smaller plate so you can go from seated position to a standing easily by stepping DOWN.
    If your whole platform was that low, every thin on it is going to get wet. In my case a CLOTH seat, but even plastic. It would be like a "V" tube. You are sitting higher but not out of the water completely.
    I have a battery, plus a basket I strip into instead of an apron. By battery I mean I either have the full size for an electric motor or a small rechargeable for sonar. I put carpet on my deck to cut glare and heat.
    You can try it and let us know how it works.

I realize with the bigger diameter pontoons you might not be in the water, but lower. I am saying on mine you would, plus my frame sits ON TOP the toons, unlike many others.

Last edited by Fly Goddess; 02-22-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Default Cardiac Canyon

Joni,

I thought your boat was yellow. Does the red one belong to your husband?
    The frame is definitely unique. Thanks for posting that picture. With that frame you could mount a big platform and go down the Mississippi Huckleberry Finn style.

God Bless,
    Don

+ Reply to Thread