+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Question?

Hybrid View

Default Rod Question?

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this!!
    I have been using a Orvis 7'9" Far & Fine 5wt. for the last year and love it, it has become my go to rod. My question is I have the opportunity to get a new Sage XP 590-2pc for a fair price, am I going to like its action compaired to my Far & Fine. I'm just looking for something to get me out there just a little farther on those windy days, or am I just wasting my time. You guys seem to know the rods out there. Just asking for some feed back on the XP, is it that fast that I just won't like it? I don't need another rod really I have enough, but I need help on this...Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by catman; 02-12-2008 at 12:14 AM.

hutjensmpg Guest

If you can, go cast that bad boy somewhere with the same length casts you'll normally make while fishing. I've never cast a Far and Fine, but I used to have that same XP rod, and I loved it at first. I fish quite a bit of small water around home and eventually wanted a bit softer rod for the shorter casts. Many times I'm fishing arond the 25 - 30 ft range or in and at that distance the rod didn't load very well. It was still accurate, but lacked 'feel'. I'd get used to that dead stick feeling, then if I got in a spot with more room and the rod suddenly started loading the 'zip' would completely get me by surprise as the line zoomed out there. I replaced mine with a 4 wt BIIX for around home and an 8' 6" 5 wt Z-Axis for more all around use. But if I lived in MT, I'd probably be tempted to go back to an XP.

Justice League Guest

That xp is going to feel like you have a rocket. That may not be a good thing the fair and fine is just what it says it is very soft laying the line down. I think you will like the castability of the xp better but you may have a few problems "slapping" the line on the water at first. Over all I like the xp better because I think it has more uses.

OK now my two cents but I know a lot will disagree. I have Sages in RPL, XP and SLT, plus slower rods. The XP is one powerful cannon, but a handful to use in the wind - in wind I prefer a slower action with some power in the butt. Here I love the mid and tip flex Orvises or similar, even the SLT is good.

If you want to buy a powerful fast rod then the XP is a good choice, if you can use it. If you want to cast into wind, I wouldn't go there with my XP.

Catman; there's some very good advice, given by the folks above.
    However, I have to admit, (and I guess "ask")................ what kind of sacrilegious statement is....... "I don't really NEED another rod, I have ENOUGH"????
    You been to a good doctor, lately sir?
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

catman,

FWIW ... I'd be very careful. Cast first, including short and middle distance. The XP is a lot faster/stiffer than your F & F. Many, including me, think it casts better with a #6 line unless you're booming a lot of line. You might not feel it load with a #5 until you've got 50+ feet of line out. It's really a 6 wt.

Also, for a Superfine guy as you are the tip is pretty stiff. The XP won't feel at all the same with a fish on either. You might find it to be more of a casting rod than a fishing rod.

For you, there might be better choices for a faster/longer 5 wt. for bigger water. Good Luck with your quest.

I suggest casting and, if you can, fishing an XP, as it's at the other end of the spectrum from a Far and Fine. You might like something more in the middle in terms of stiffness, like a St. Croix Avid.

Having said that, I have an Orvis Superfine - older, slower model - and an XP and I like them both.

Randy

Thanks to all of the replies... I just sold a Winston IBIS 9' #5wt. fast action only because after using my Far & Fine and going to the Winston I had to almost learn to cast all over again, it was like using a 9' 2x4 for a rod. All of the response has definitly got me thinking maybe I should stay where I'm at and just keep throwing the old Far & Fine it's old and slow like me, I sure would hate to break it at this point.

+ Reply to Thread