+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things We Could Do Without (not ff)

Hybrid View

Default Things We Could Do Without (not ff)

Source; The DF.
    dustdemon KY (Bluegrass St.)
    Stupid Honking Canadian Geese !

I laughed when I read this and I told the person that I agree that Geese are Crazy!
    I would like to hear what "You" could do without??
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

The only Canadian geese are in Canada. We have some Canada Geese here, but they are cute.

Default Different Strokes

I used to hunt Canada geese until steel shot was mandated. It coincided with the time that it got too difficult to pack the decoys. I love the sound of wild geese. Another reason that I quit hunting them, was an incident that happened the last time I went. Cold, snowy,foggy, river bottom, early morning, 100 yards visibility. Heard a bunch honking in the distance. Blew the call a couple of times, and here they came, flying low. We watched them come toward us, up the river, singing their song. Very ethereal. They set their wings and glided toward the decoys. They flew past at about 15 yards, well within range, and set down on the river, upstream about another 75 yards. My hunting buddy looked at me and said, "Why didn't you shoot you dumb s***"? I replied in kind, and his answer was, "They were just too d*** pretty". I said "yep". We gathered the decoys without firing a shot, and went to the truck and got out the rods. I guess you had to be there.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    I used to hunt Canada geese until steel shot was mandated. It coincided with the time that it got too difficult to pack the decoys. I love the sound of wild geese. Another reason that I quit hunting them, was an incident that happened the last time I went. Cold, snowy,foggy, river bottom, early morning, 100 yards visibility. Heard a bunch honking in the distance. Blew the call a couple of times, and here they came, flying low. We watched them come toward us, up the river, singing their song. Very ethereal. They set their wings and glided toward the decoys. They flew past at about 15 yards, well within range, and set down on the river, upstream about another 75 yards. My hunting buddy looked at me and said, "Why didn't you shoot you dumb s***"? I replied in kind, and his answer was, "They were just too d*** pretty". I said "yep". We gathered the decoys without firing a shot, and went to the truck and got out the rods. I guess you had to be there.
    Lew
    Good point and insight.....
    Your right as I get older it is harder to justify taking out my rifle or shotgun, and easer to justify C&R even on the stockers..

I think this is the forth and final phase of a sportsman?

Ohh and I hope the longest phase in terms of years in length......
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Smile

Ray,
    It is all in good fun when I complain about Geese! I get to witness hundreds of them fly over every day and how they can communicate, when they are ALL honking at the same time, I have no idea!
    I am impressed that Canadian Geese seem to blend in with us very well, even in the City.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Hmmmm, my friend, great question!! (Cancer is obvious, I suppose!?!)
    But, "what could I do without"??
    I could do without fly fishermen thinking if they speak Latin, they'll catch more fish.

I could do without a mere 6" legal limit for keeping a Trout.

Having people tell me; "You'll cast better and catch more fish.......if you pay ENOUGH for your fly rods!".

"If the RIGHT label shows on the gear you use, your catch rate will increase!"

"People telling me, their 99 reasons, why a $99.00 fly line is so much better than the $56.00 one, I've landed more Trout on than I truly deserve".

"Having to listen to other fly fishermen justify to THEMSELVES, why they own what they do, (and, why don't I), when they're really trying to convince themselves and not me".

"Anything & everything, that has to do with any form of "competition", when it comes to fly fishing".

Mere GEESE I can handle!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DShock View Post
    Source; The DF.

I laughed when I read this and I told the person that I agree that Geese are Crazy!
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Doug

Here in Alberta we live "under" a fly way and when they are way up there flying north or south and the wind is warm, that stupid Honking is true music from the wild, and we can hear the coyotes from our bedroom window,and it is great.... and when I am in the mountains you add to that the wolves, elk, various night birds, and some cats and the crackle of the fire, well man you don't get any better.....

Sorry your experience is not as good with them

Ohh what I can do with out is the roar of the engine and sirens when my Ambulance heads to MVC.
    The sound of a panicked parent when they call my 911 centre and have found their baby not breathing, their loved one not breathing..... Ohhh man I have lots that I can do without, picking up body parts of my country men....

Sorry for the downer but my mind wanders sometimes and this helps..

Ahh I can do with out leaky waders.....
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Question

Quote Originally Posted by DShock View Post
    Source; The DF.

Thanks,
    Doug
    I got another message from "dustdemon" and he definitely does not like the Geese that try and take over his lake front property. I recall some past problems that a golf course and a park in central Oregon had with them, pooping all over the place.
    When about 100 of them fly over my head, I instinctively want to place my hands over my head. Question? Does the flock of Geese have a designated "Bombardier?" that tells the lead Goose "Bombs Away!"??
    Thanks,
    Doug

Doug, you answered your OWN question with a question my friend!
    "WHY" do you think............... Geese fly only in a "V" formation, with NEVER "one goose below a fellow flier"?
    "WHY" do you think.......... geese seem to "pump their wings" a lot MORE than they actually need to stay airborne?
    "WHY" is it, that geese ALWAYS land "tail end lower", when approaching a body of water, as if they wish to "wash off, something, immediately" upon landing after a long flight?
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Question

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    Doug, you answered your OWN question with a question my friend!
    "WHY" do you think............... Geese fly only in a "V" formation, with NEVER "one goose below a fellow flier"?
    "WHY" do you think.......... geese seem to "pump their wings" a lot MORE than they actually need to stay airborne?
    "WHY" is it, that geese ALWAYS land "tail end lower", when approaching a body of water, as if they wish to "wash off, something, immediately" upon landing after a long flight?
    1. I thought it was to protect the Formation from Fighter attack?
    2. I thought they were just loosening up?
    3. I thought they didn't have front landing Gear?
    Doug

+ Reply to Thread