+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Instructional rod building book to buy

Blog Entries

Default Which Instructional rod building book to buy

There are a plethora of books and videos available on how to build a graphite rod. I have no idea which book or video to buy. Looking for someone to guide me in this purchase.

H&H an FAOL Sponsor has a myriad of them but not very much information on the individual books.

I think for sure I will get the H&H one for $4.00 on flex coat rod building. Seems like a lot of people like flex coat.

The H&H kits used to come with an Instructional book but now I don't see the book listed with the kits anymore.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Default Rod building book

Hello Gnu Bee Flyer, you might search Ebay or other auctions and try to find an old copy of Dale Clemen's "Advanced Custom Rod Building", prolly still one of if not the best rod building book out there !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I'm by no means an expert, but L.A. Garcias' book and video was a good one for me. Between that and the Al Campbell article on FAOL, You can get the basics down. Also there are still some very valuable tidbits that you can only get from all the posts here. One that has helped me alot, has to do with getting rid of air bubbles in wrap finish. I wish I could remember who posted it but, the tip was after mixing the 2 parts of wrap finish, pour it out onto a folded piece of tin foil and then use a stick to push it around on the foil for a minute. This seems to get rid of most all of the bubbles. I did find that mini knitting needles from walmart make great stirrers and burnishers. It's these kinds of helpful tips that make FAOL, and the people who contribute, irreplaceable!!!! Hope this helps.
    Hare

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Custom-Graph...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know where it will end up but the price is pretty good right now.

Blog Entries

Roger

My local library has at least one book and a DVD on rod building, I have lived a lot of places and think all of the libraries had at least one book.

Check out your local library, See what you can get on loan from other libraries your taxes pay for it, you might as well use it.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    Roger

My local library has at least one book and a DVD on rod building, I have lived a lot of places and think all of the libraries had at least one book.

Check out your local library, See what you can get on loan from other libraries your taxes pay for it, you might as well use it.

Eric
    Unfortunately, my library does not have a single volume on rod building, and just a few books on fly tying. I learned everything I needed to know to get started on rod building right here on the Internet. As I advance, I just Google what I need or ask a question here or on rodbuildingforum.com. Since I have a laptop, I just keep it on the bench and refer to the information I need.

Might try to see what's available on YouTube.com. I haven't done that yet, but I would imagine there are some videos already on there.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Custom-Graph...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know where it will end up but the price is pretty good right now.
    Drat , I would bid on that but alas I cannot.

The problem is that this seller will not ship to the evil empire just to the north of the USA. It is a cross we Canadians who shop on ebay must bear.

More than 1/2 of ebay items are unavailable to us. I think its because of the war of 1812.

I have most all of the above books but I think Tom Kirkman's book is by far the best especially if one is just starting out. You can get it from his website-rodbuiding.org-or Amazon and it costs less than $15. His website also has tons of info on it.

Dave

Gnu bee flyer,
    sent you a pm

Blog Entries

Dave thanks I will check him out.

Some websites kill us canucks on the shipping and handling others just charge us costs.

Saltamontes thanks I got it .

+ Reply to Thread