+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 9 1/2 ft. rod

Default 9 1/2 ft. rod

Have a chance to pick up a discontinued 9 1/2 ft. rod. 5 wt. Medium fast action. I do mainly float tube fishing. Do you think I would be to an advantage by using a longer rod compared to a 9 ft. or will I even notice a difference?

------------------

I cast from a sitting position in my kayak. The longer rod is easier for me to cast from that position if I'm going for distance.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

A longer rod makes it harder to "land" a fish than a shorter one.

Dear Buzz,

Please explain how the length of the rod makes a difference in landing a fish?

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

BB,

The difference of just six inches will be negligible.

If you can get the rod for a deal, and you like it, buy it.

For Tim and Buzz,

It's the 'lever' effect that makes a longer rod less efficient for fish fighting, IF you are talking about applying pressure to the fish. You can 'apply more pressure' with a shorter rod.

HOWEVER, a longer rod is more forgiving if you don't do everything right. That extra 'flex' out there near the end can help with sudden surges from the fish, keeping your tippet in tack.

BUT, regardless of rod length, it's the tippet strength that ultimately determines how much pressure you can put on a fish. So, if you can break the tippet with a 9 foot rod, and can also break it with a 5 foot rod, there is ZERO functional difference in fish fighting ability between the two rods.

The guys using very short rods, 4 1/2 to 5 feet, for big game fishing are also using very heavy tackle and lines. They can't 'break' their lines with the rods. So, they can actually 'use' the extra power.

For most fly rod situations, that isn't the case, so it doesn't matter.

The slight difference between a 9 and a 9 1/2 is completely irrelevant to the fish fighting issue in any event.

Just to be clear, the ability to land a large fish hooked on fly tackle is pretty much based on angler skill (and maybe some luck), NOT the length of the rod.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:f90a2]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:f90a2]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Without the application of good basic casting principles, the only difference between the 9.5' rod and the 9' rod, is where the fly will slap the water behind you......6" further back.
    ...lee s.

JC, thanks for those links to the articles. Something tells me I'm going to be getting my knees dirty come spring thaw! something also tells me I'm not going to need to buy a longer rod for when I fish out of my kayak!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Lets talk trade offs.
    longer = more distance if everything else is equal.
    Longer means more tiring which means you start getting sloppy earlier in the day as you tire.
    Longer means harder to stop so less energy is emparted with each stroke (shorter cast)
    Shorter is easier to stop and start the rod movement.

Longer means more energy emparted in a cast for the same force.
    Shorter means more energy can be imparted because of less of a lever arm to move.

Longer means the fish is further from you when you bring it in.
    Shorter has the fish closer to you.

Longer means easier mending.
    Shorter means easier fishing in tighter places.

I use an 8' 4wt and 9' 6 and 8 wts. To be honest I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. When I look at the trade offs, they just give me an different, but equally enjoyable experience.

jed

Dear Board,

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I fail to see how a longer rod shortens ones arms?

I don't care if the rod is 4 feet long or 14 feet long you can still get the fish to within arms length easily enough.

I can occasionally see being at a disadvantage with a longer rod in heavy streamside cover, but we are talking about being in a float tube or boat.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

As far as the weight factor goes, I really don't think that extra 6 in. is going to tire me sooner?? I mean, this has got to be so insignifigent. I have heard of people buying rods with single foot guides because they are lighter with less metal and thread wraps. How could one possibly even notice this difference? Besides, I would be going from a 9 ft. 6 wt. down to a 9 1/2 5 wt. so I don't think weight would be a factor.

Thanks for your input

+ Reply to Thread