+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Spin Rod Blank recommendation

Default Need Spin Rod Blank recommendation

I don't want to build a spinning rod, but a fly rod from a spin rod blank. What I want is a short rod (5 or 6 foot) in 5 or 6wt. I've read the threads on making fly rods out of spin blanks but I'm not sure which blank to look for. I fish very small streams with streamers or two wet flies, so a 5 wt would be perfect, but my 7'9" 5wt is a little too long for some of the water I fish in.

Suggestions, recommendations?
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Blog Entries

Sevier makes a tiger eye blank that is 6' long in a 4/5 weight.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

SonOfMartin -

Jim Flamming did a "Reader's Cast" article in August '07 on building short fly rods using fiberglass spinning blanks that cost about $11 to $15. From your description of what kind of fishing you like to do and the type of rod you are looking to build, Jim's approach may be the direction you want to go.

John

P.S. I just double checked on "Reader's Cast," and found that the titles for the second half '07 don't match the articles. You may have to play around a bit by trying other title's to find Jim's article, but it will be worth your while.
    Last edited by JohnScott; 02-09-2008 at 04:29 PM.
    The fish are always right.

Default Spin to fly

Hello SonOfMartin, you've got some good help coming in already. I'm wanting to change a finished spinning rod I have to a fly rod...you can do this too and there are literally tons of good used spinning rods at yard/tag/garage sales and flea markets etc. to choose from for cheap. Then just remove the guides and grip/reelseat and make your fly rod. All kinds of colors, lengths and actions to choose from too.

Something you can try is take a reel spooled with the fly line you want the rod weight to approximate with you and string a spinning rod you find for sale with it then with the reel in your coat/pants pocket, hold the spinning rod as if it were a fly rod and see if you can get it to cast reasonably well and you'll know you're close to the 'blank' you want. Hope this gives you ideas !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

A better option would to buy a multi piece fly rod blank and build on only the top sections. Several of us down have used this technique to good effect. This will give you a rod that is close to weight. converting spinning rod rating to fly rod weight (1/16oz to 1 weight) is very iffy.

If you go to http://www.dorber.com/product.html and look under rod blanks and then fly rod blanks you can find blanks starting form 4'6" on up and in a 5 weight. I have done business with these folks and they are great to do business with. Prices are very reasonable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by harleybob87 View Post
    If you go to http://www.dorber.com/product.html and look under rod blanks and then fly rod blanks you can find blanks starting form 4'6" on up and in a 5 weight. I have done business with these folks and they are great to do business with. Prices are very reasonable.
    That was the one I was trying to find for him! I knew there were some out there.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I do believe ol blue that you are the one I got the site from to begin with. I know I do appreciate it. They have been good to do business with and the fly line they sell is excellent. BOB

Fantastic ideas and links. Thanks for the info. I think I might have to prowl the upcoming spring garage sales. Never know what I may find for a buck or three.

Now, on the idea of building a multi-piece long rod only shorter, any ideas. For example, buy a 6wt 7 piece and only build the top x sections.....???
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

The blanks that Jim Flamming wrote about were Batson "Import Fibreglass" e-glass with the model prefix SPG*** in the Ultra/lite sizes.
    They run less than $10 at Schneidersrods
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread