+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TFO Pro or Sage Launch??

Hybrid View

Default TFO Pro or Sage Launch??

I'm a total fly fishing newbie and about to purchase my first rod. I've narrowed it down to a Sage Launch or TFO Pro series. I'll be fishing in N. GA and N.C for trout and am looking at something something along the lines of a 9' 5wt with probably a Orvis BBS reel. Price wise the sage is only going to be about $25 more as I will have to buy a case for the TFO. Both of these rods feel good and I'm guessing it is a toss up with probably little real difference between the two but I thought some veterans here might be able to give me some advice. I'm really looking forward to getting into fly fishing as I am coming from the world of serious...real serious bass fishing. Its going to be nice to be able to go fishing and not put $60 worth of petrol in the Truck and another $50 or so to fill up the 200 ETEC hanging off the back of the boat. This hobby looks cheap in comparison. And what really scares me is that I think I am even more interested in learning to tie flies than I am the actual fishing. I hope to pick up a Peak rotary vise this weekend at the fly fishing show in addition to which ever rod you guys/gals steer me towards. Lots to learn but looking forward to it.

Thanks much in advance for any advice!!!

Tom

The Sage is made in the USA. That alone would "seal the deal" for me.
    However, I own 1 Launch rod and it is a fantastic rod for the money spent. It doesnt have the high-end conponents that many other Sage rods have but is still a good rod.
    I dont have any experience with the TFO rod, sorry.
    Mark 1:17

Quote Originally Posted by TomRC View Post
    This hobby looks cheap in comparison. And what really scares me is that I think I am even more interested in learning to tie flies than I am the actual fishing. I hope to pick up a Peak rotary vise this weekend at the fly fishing show in addition to which ever rod you guys/gals steer me towards. Lots to learn but looking forward to it.

Thanks much in advance for any advice!!!

Tom
    Cheap! LOL.

Let me backup a bit. Welcome aboard!

Actually you can make ff as inexpensive or as expensive as you like. A word of caution, fly tying is a terrible addiction that will suck your childrens college funds dry.

Back to your question. I don't think you can go wrong with either rod. At this point in the game you need to just get out and practice. There is plenty of great info on the main board to help you on your way and the bb is full of good folks ready to help. Hopefully you have a buddy or club you can get live help from as well.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Smile Sage or TFO

TomRC,

Both the Sage Launch rod and the TFO Pro are good rods. DarrinG is right, the Sage rod is made in the USA, sort of right up the road from me so to speak, and it has a lifetime warranty. But then the TFO also has a lifetime warranty and while it is made from an imported blank, those blanks are made to the exact specifications requested by TFO.

So, guess I am saying you can?t go wrong with either one.

That being said, my nickname is ---sagefisher---because I only fish with Sage rods. I do own some TFO?s but have not used them.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

First...A big welcome to FAOL. You have come to the right place, so, pull up a chair and stay awhile. I know where you are coming from...I was a tournament bass fisherman for 30 years before I just got tired of fighting jet skis, skiers, houseboats, drunks, etc. All of a sudden fishing was not fun anymore. Sold the bass boat and let someone talk me into getting a fly rod and going to the rivers. Boy, have I been missing a lot of fun!! You are going to love fly fishing! Oh, by the way, I have been teaching a Beginner's Fly Tying class now for about 9 years and love it too! Make sure to bring your "line watching" skills and "sensitivity feel" that you used for your bass fishing with you in fly fishing. Those 2 skills will really help you with fly fishing. I only wish I had started fly fishing 30 years ago instead of 14 years ago. You are going to love fly tying too. Either rod you have chosen will be good. I do need to warn you, since you are just starting fly fishing, this will not be the last rod you purchase!! There will be more as your skills grow.

Welcome to the best fly fishing site on the web. Ask any questions that come up.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Tom -

Welcome to the bulletin board. You'll get all the answers and suggestions you want / need here from a bunch of experienced and thoughtful and helpful people.

Can't speak to the rods you are interested in, except to say that I did fish a 5 wt Sage Launch for a few minutes one day while its owner was using my rig, and I really liked it.

This fly fishing thing can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want to make it. But nothing can be much more fun !!!

Enjoy - and when you have questions, don't be bashful.

John
    The fish are always right.

Tom,

One more thing that may help you a lot is to fill out your Profile with at least where you live. One of us may be close to where you live and can "hook up" and go fishing with you.

Just a thought....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Welcome to FAOL. I am known as Castwell around here and am supposed to know everything of any importance whatever. Both the companies you list are sponsors on here, so good luck getting my opinion. (ha ha) But, just between you and me,,, pick whichever one YOU LIKE BEST! (It will make you the happiest)

The rods have a distinctly different feel to them, but as you are new to fly fishing I don't think this is really and issue here since you have no previous experience that would help you choose one over the other from a performance perspective.

The Sage is finished better in my opinion. It may be the least expensive (not cheap) rod built in the USA.

I am partial to the Sage, but that is only my personal preference. I know people that have the TFO, and people that have the Sage, and both groups are happy.

The Launch is very good starter rod in trout weight sizes. For that kind of use I woud have to give the nod to the Launch over the PRO. However you may also want to consider the 5 wt TFO TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series rod as a starter rod for under $100.

Rod ratings are fairly subjective, and I will probably be crucified by the All American Sage fans, but IMHO the Launch while definately being a very good starter trout rod, it is not as good a rod in the bigger "streamer rod" sizes as the "Pro". If you ever think of stepping up into the 8-9 wt range for bass, pike and saltwater, I would strongly recommend the TFO Pro over the Launch.

My two cents for what it's worth.

Guy

+ Reply to Thread