Thread: Symetrically Challenged flies

Threaded View

Default Symetrically Challenged flies

Unlike the museum- or art-gallery-quality flies routinely featured in FAOL, many of the flies I have created in my first year of fly tying are decidedly lop-sided. (I prefer the term asymetrical. )

However, as I looked at my latest creation last night, I got to thinking about a recent program put on by our state's muskie fishing club. The guest speaker, a long-time fisheries biologist with Nebraska Game & Parks, talked about the importance of the lateral line and how predator species sense tiny water disturbances to identify the presence of prey, especially prey that may be injured. This disturbance, he said, explained the decades old popularity of lures such as the Daredevle among Esox fishermen. All species, however, are gifted with this sense, he said, and it is particularly important in low visibility situations.

So, now I have to wonder if my asymetrical wet flies and streamers might actually be advantageous. They certainly can't move smoothly through the water.

Any thoughts? Do any of you intentionally tie asymetrical bugs?

p.s. I have been known to rationalize my shortcomings in other aspects of my life.
    Last edited by OldBaldGuy; 02-08-2008 at 04:10 PM.