+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 9 footer to a smaller rod

Hybrid View

Default 9 footer to a smaller rod

I have two project rods that I picked up late last year. One of them is almost rebuilt and ready to fish. The other is another three piece 9 footer that I would like to change to a different length and a lighter line weight. How much of a challenge would this be and is there any kind of information out there on the internet. I would like this rod to be around 7 1/2 feet if possible and throw a 4/5 weight line.

Any help or leads would be great.
    Seege

Are you talking bamboo, glass...?
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I am talking boo, forgot to mention that in the first post.

Thanks,
    Seege

Ron Barch suggested to me that I soak an old rod (9 footer)I had to delaminate it (said it was probably a hide glue of some sort) and plane it to a new length and taper of my choosing. He said that the 'boo was very good, even in mass produced rods and I would end up with a fine fishing tool. I haven't tried the proces yet so let me know how it works and I might try it.
    Mark

I just finished converting a couple of 9 foot bamboo rod into bantys. I used the top 2 sections and they ended up being a tad over 6 feet and cast a 5 wt very nice. I would suggest taking the butt section and building the grip/reelseat on it. That will give you the length you are looking for.

Good luck

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMAN View Post
    I have two project rods that I picked up late last year. One of them is almost rebuilt and ready to fish. The other is another three piece 9 footer that I would like to change to a different length and a lighter line weight. How much of a challenge would this be and is there any kind of information out there on the internet. I would like this rod to be around 7 1/2 feet if possible and throw a 4/5 weight line.

Any help or leads would be great.
    Seege

Have you used this rod at 9' before you want to cut it? I bought 4, 9' rods last year because of the tall vegation along the sides of the streams that I fish. I also bought a couple of 8.5' rods, because they were not available in 9' lengths and one 10' rod. Fish it before you cut it. Standing in waist deep water with 4 or 5' tall vegation on boths sides of a spring creek and the 9 footers are a dream compared to the little rods for me. By the way 2 of the 9 footers were 4 wts. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Rick

Ive got 3 bamboo rods that are 9 footers. I really dont have a need for 3 of them. I fish the rivers and streams of the midwest and would like a 7.5 foot rod for a smallmouth/trout. One of the rods is completely original and is an HI in really good shape, that one will kept as is. As for the other 2, one has been restored with upgraded guides and stripper. The 3rd has been stripped and ready for work and needs everything on it from handle to guides.

Seege
    Last edited by FIREMAN; 02-19-2008 at 03:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread