+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eeri Tribs OH Fishing Trip

Talking Eeri Tribs OH Fishing Trip

(Sorry, that is supposed to say Eerie)

Some folks have tossed around the idea of an Ohio Steelhead Fish-In in the past. Well, this aint that, but it's a start.

We (Janus and myself) are not calling this a Fish-in or even a mini fish-in because it is not that organized and we don't want folks getting the idea that it will be something other than a bunch of guys and gals getting together for a good old fashioned fishing trip.

Not sponsered. No FAOL banners, no perch dinners. No casting competitions or killer BBQ's (unless you really want to do).

Just getting together to meet some fellow, friendly anglers, shoot the breeze and FISH!! The main purpose here is to fish, so we're stripping it down bare and offering a general invitation to all for a day of fishing. If you want to make a weekend out of it, then that's cool. But we are only really offering a Saturday fishing trip.

Plans right now are for March 29th (we're hoping to get into the tail end of the steel and get a head start on some nice smallie fishing at the same time). We'll be fishing the Rocky River in Northern Ohio. Exact destination, and specific time: TBA. The purpose of this notice is just to let you great folks know about a semi-organized fishin venture. Now is your chance for a bunch of friends to get together in a very informal setting to fish together. You don't have to PM us or anything, but if you would like to, feel free and we'll be happy answer any questions you have.

Date: 03/29/08
    Time: Early AM (Or whenever you want to show up)
    Place: Rocky River (specifics TBA)
    Food: Bring what you want. If you wanna share then cool, but don't feel obligated

Thanks guys!

*This will also be announced on OGF (Ohio Game Fishing) website.

**This is in NO way intended to slander or speak ill of any concept, idea or content of any past, present or future FAOL Fish-In or those folks who either organized or participated in them or who plan to organize or particiapte in them.
    Last edited by Wild One; 02-07-2008 at 04:01 PM.
    Leave No Trace

Sounds interesting. I've never fished for steelhead and would welcome learning from some of you experts. I'll put it on the calendar and stay abreast of the planning/TBA. Thanks.
    God Bless America

It will be laid back. It's my "home" river and Wild One is coming up to the for the first time. So we need to show him a good time. I'm not to well versed with steelhead there but, smallies I can help with. Hopefully some with steelhead experience in Rocky will make it out. Would love to see Wild One hook into a silver bullet...
    Janus

I like the sound of this. I'm off work on the 28th and might be interested in some pre-event fishing. Right now this would depend on getting it cleared on the home front with the boss. I'll certainly check and post an update when I confirm my availability with my wife. Thanks guys for working on this.
    Joe Bertolini

jcampbell,
    Me neither (as Janus pointed out), but would be sweet to have you along.

Joe,
    I think we all know what you mean about clearing it with the boss. It would be nice if someone could scout out a few 'hot spots' the day before to get us newbies into some chrome.

The more the marrier guys. You need not be a registered FAOLer for this one and it's obviously open to any individual on the planet who has the gear and wants to fish!
    Leave No Trace

As long as here is no significant rain event near that date, the fishing should be excellent, with lots of fish on the redds and a lot of drop back males available for easy pickings. I really like fishing this time of year because the weather is pleasant and the "I'll never bother a spawning hatchery fish" crowd will have put away their float rods and plastic buckets for another year.

While the Rocky is a nice urban fishery with great access along most of its length, I prefer heading way upstream on the Grand at that time of year, where I walk in 2 miles from the parking lot, and have nobody there to interact with all day long. I'm not much for combat fishing, so walking is my M.O. to offset that.

If this comes to pass, I may just join you for the fellowship and food. There are lots of picnic places along the Rock with shelter houses where we can get together. I'll watch this space for more details.

For those thinking of coming to this for their first steelhead outing, be sure to bring lots of egg patterns, stonefly nymphs, GRHE and small deer hair streamers. Woolly buggers are also deadly this time of year, with black, olive & brown being the dominant colors. Some even do well with white, and egg sucking leeches are also popular, with purple being deadly.

If the water is clear bring fluorocarbon in 3X, 4X & 5X. These fish can get leader shy sometimes, so it pays to be prepared. For rods, nothing smaller than 6wt is recommended, and 7wt is about the ideal rod to land these fish quickly. The water will be warming at that time, so you don't want to be playing a fish longer then necessary, especially if you will be practicing C&R.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Thanks for the input Joe. Would be nice to have a veteran from Chrome Alley along. Great suggestions I'll certainly follow.

I am also one who really dislikes combat fishing (unless it is with other guys that I'm there fishing with). I'm hoping we can find a few spots away from the beaten path on the Rock.

This is shaping up quickly to be a really great time guys!
    Leave No Trace

Never been to a fish-in, so I guess trying to go to a non-Fish-in Fish-in sounds great. I'll get a hold of my brother Lake Erie Highball and see if our schedules will allow us to make it.

If we can't make it we'll be sure to give you guys some great spots to try beforehand.

For the time being count on two more for this gathering.

Jim

ps. check the thread under FISHING REPORTS for the latest on the Rocky River.
    Last edited by fivedials; 02-08-2008 at 12:54 AM.
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

Thumbs up

Well, add another Irishman to the mix! Should be a great time, & maybe Sean can keep us all outta jail (or IN for our own good!)
    Unless something drastic happens, I figure to be there totin' peanut butter fudge & a slew of Italian Sloppy Joes.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Wow guys! This is looking better than I thought it would! I personally look forward to meeting and fishing with a lot of great people that I'm excited to meet.

We've had some suggestions on a different tributary that may be better for some things. I don't know one from the other just yet, but I'm thinking that I will probably still plan on hitting the Rock. That obviously doesn't mean other guys can't go to another river cause this is just a day of fishing right?!

For those interested: The average temps for the Cleveland area on 3/29 are 48 for a high and 35 for a low. That sounds quite pleasant about now doesn't it? I'm gearing up already!
    Leave No Trace

+ Reply to Thread