+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering giving this a try (just maybe)

Default Considering giving this a try (just maybe)

Alright folks, lately I have been contemplating giving rod building a try. I searched the archives for articles related to introduction to rod building and did not find anything. Thus I have some questions for you, wise, experienced types.
    -Is there an "online" tutorial out there that could give me an idea of where to start? I did a you-tube search and found very little.
    - what tools are required? Any idea of what amount of cash I'd be looking at? Do these tools have to be purchased or can some of these be homemade? I want to keep the expenses to a minimum, so I am not looking for high end stuff, I do tie my own flies and have invested a substantial amount of $ in fly tying materials and refuse to spend a pile of cash (which I really do not have) on something that might be the "occasional" attempt to build a rod.
    - I am not very good at following written instructions, and would much rather watch someone build a rod. However, since I do not know anyone in the area who builds rods, I would be looking for a detailed and simple (is there such a thing?) book that gives you "step by step" instructions on how to build a rod. Hear me now, I know NOTHING about this.
    - of course I would start with a bottom end blank as my first project, any brands you's recommend? price range?
    - Realistically, what would be the bottom price (blank, components etc) to build a stick?
    - Anticipating screwing up my first, second and perhaps even more attempts, once a component (ie. guides, reel seat, cork rings, etc.) is used, can it be rescued? or is it toast? as in "gosh, I need to buy a new one" and start again.
    -Any of you practice wrapping guides on a busted up rod?

I fish a Z-Axis 590 4 piece, and ultimately would love to build a 3 weight. How many attempts did it take you to build a rod you felt was good enough to show fellow flyfishers?
    I know, plenty of questions, but, what the heck, better ask first than be sorry later.

There's some video on the mudhole.com site
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Saltamontes View Post
    I fish a Z-Axis 590 4 piece, and ultimately would love to build a 3 weight. How many attempts did it take you to build a rod you felt was good enough to show fellow flyfishers?
    I know, plenty of questions, but, what the heck, better ask first than be sorry later.
    Good strategy to ask before acting. I spent three months scouring the Internet, gathering all the information I could about building a rod, and this is the first one I built, which I'm very proud of, in spite of its cosmetic flaws:

And here's the first trout caught on it on a cold February day:

Each one of us had a "first day" experience with everything we have done in life, and I'm sure (except for a few self-proclaimed perfect people) that everyone's first attempt is significantly different than their future attempts. You will get enouragement from people on this site for your final product, and more importantly, for your willingness to step outside your comfort zone and try something new. Just remember, we are here for you whenever you need us.

I have a DVD that I will loan you if you promise to send it back when you are finished with it. Jack Hise loaned it to me for my first build, and I made a copy so I could help other new builders. Just PM your address and I'll get it out to you. Oh, it shows how to build a spinning rod, but it's the same procedure for a fly rod without the butt section of cork on the spinner.

Oh, here's the H&H Tradition II 7'9" 3wt 4-piece which was build #10.

This is a great rod for a bargain price ($65 plus shipping), but it lacks the fancy name of Z-Axis. On the other hand, if you use a rod like this for your first build, you'll still have a great fishing rod even if cosmetically challenged. Then you can spend big bucks to build a name brand late on.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

The instruction here on the site are excellent. I built my own wrapper for under $10.00. In fact I gave the instruction to another person here and will send you those instruction if you like. Wrapping the guide can be as easy as turning the rod. Tension on the thread is the most important thing. Cork reamers can be as simple as a round file to pieces of a rod with sandpaper glued to it. I bought mine from jans netcraft I believe for $18.00. A good investment. Most of the tools you have for flytieing can be used for rod building. I use the sissors for cutting the thread and a razor blade for getting it flush with the wrap. I do not glue my guides before wrapping but use rubber bands or masking tape to hold them. Yes you can practice wrappping guides on a busted road and will definately help you discover the ideal tension on a guide, what it takes to wrap a guide, getting the thread to lay perfectly side by side, and how to lock in the wrap. One thing I bought for rod wrapping which has definately paid for itself is a laser level for $13.00. Once the guides are spaced where they belong you can check for allinment with the laser level. If you mess something up is it ruined. Not really. I lot of things can be saved and when something happens post it here and I am sure a lot of folks will be able to tell you how to save it.

Buy a kit. H&H has them for under $75.00, J Stockard has them from $52.00 and up depending on what you want. As you continue to build (and you will )you can start buying componants seperately. I have found the better brand name components are nicer to work with.

Guide spacing is a mystery to most but is available in a lot of places on the net. If you are using one of the blanks from J Stockard and you go to rodbuilding resourses they give guide spacings for the different brand of rods. These are very close to perfection and a few here can get you even closer. I have found the difference in factory recomendations and perfection has been at the most a 1/4"

I showed my friends my first rod and was proud of it. By my third rod I was selling them. My best advise is to relax take your time and have fun with it. If you need more help ask here or I can be reached at nightprowler87@hotmail.com, or you can call me at 208-284-2886 and I will be more then happy to answer any question you may have. I am building a 3 weight for my son so as soon as the components come in I will take pics step by step and send them to you if you like. Oh yes while I am thinking about it use graphite arbors instead of masking tape to make the reel seat secure on the rod. Much better system. Good luck and hope this helps BOB

I also borrowed the video from Jack Hise and between it and the FAOL tutorial by Al Campbell, I was comfortable enough to dive right in. They are on the money and are very good at explaining the process so that anyone can understand. I also bought the companion book by L.A. Garcia that goes with the video. It makes a nice reference when starting out. If you're like me though you will still have questions as you go along, but all the 'artisits' on this board will keep you headed in the right direction. I also built my own wrapping station 'ala Lowe's '. I made the thread tensioner moveable but wish now that I had made the rod supports moveable as well... but it works nicely. Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Harebear; 02-06-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harebear View Post
    I also borrowed the video from Jack Hise and between it and the FAOL tutorial by Al Campbell, I was comfortable enough to dive right in. They are on the money and are very good at explaining the process so that anyone can understand. I also bought the companion book by L.A. Garcia that goes with the video. It makes a nice reference when starting out. If you're like me though you will still have questions as you go along, but all the 'artisits' on this board will keep you headed in the right direction. I also built my own wrapping station 'ala Lowe's '. I made the thread tensioner moveable but wish now that I had made the rod supports moveable as well... but it works nicely. Hope this helps!
    OMG, I can't believe I didn't think about using a drawer slide for the thread spools. What a neat idea. Off to the basement.... highjack time!
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Here is my rod wrapper. The only out of pocket cost was the bolts washers nuts velcro and thread tensioner. The thread tensioner cost more then the others put together LOL

As you can see I have used it for a day or two LOL

The Drawer slide thing seems to work well for me. I wrap between the rod supports and sometimes the guide placement makes it a bit tough to move the rod to suit the thread, so I went the opposite way. When I'm wrapping I like to have the thread coming off the spool at a slight angle into the wrap I'm doing to keep the wraps nice and tight. But when I'm coming up onto the foot of the guide, I move the angle more toward the guide to keep the thread from overlapping my previous wrap.... If that makes sense LOL. Once I've got the thread over "the climb onto the foot" so to speak, I go back to the previous angle, nice tight wraps. I guess you pretty much have to mold your style around your wrapping tools huh? I like your rod supports Bob. I may have to borrow the idea for My wrapper. Or maybe another drawer slide... Who knows! LOL
    Last edited by Harebear; 02-07-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Hey Salty, the Hook & Hackle Tradition II rods are on sale for 10% off for the next 4 days. That makes the whole kit $58.46 plus shipping. That's an extremely good price for a kit that was already priced very good. No, I don't get a commission or any form of kickback from them, I just know they have excellent pricing. Follow the links and click on special pricing when you get to the 7'-9" 3wt.

http://www.mailordercentral.com/hook...nts.asp?dept=7

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread