Alright folks, lately I have been contemplating giving rod building a try. I searched the archives for articles related to introduction to rod building and did not find anything. Thus I have some questions for you, wise, experienced types.
-Is there an "online" tutorial out there that could give me an idea of where to start? I did a you-tube search and found very little.
- what tools are required? Any idea of what amount of cash I'd be looking at? Do these tools have to be purchased or can some of these be homemade? I want to keep the expenses to a minimum, so I am not looking for high end stuff, I do tie my own flies and have invested a substantial amount of $ in fly tying materials and refuse to spend a pile of cash (which I really do not have) on something that might be the "occasional" attempt to build a rod.
- I am not very good at following written instructions, and would much rather watch someone build a rod. However, since I do not know anyone in the area who builds rods, I would be looking for a detailed and simple (is there such a thing?) book that gives you "step by step" instructions on how to build a rod. Hear me now, I know NOTHING about this.
- of course I would start with a bottom end blank as my first project, any brands you's recommend? price range?
- Realistically, what would be the bottom price (blank, components etc) to build a stick?
- Anticipating screwing up my first, second and perhaps even more attempts, once a component (ie. guides, reel seat, cork rings, etc.) is used, can it be rescued? or is it toast? as in "gosh, I need to buy a new one" and start again.
-Any of you practice wrapping guides on a busted up rod?

I fish a Z-Axis 590 4 piece, and ultimately would love to build a 3 weight. How many attempts did it take you to build a rod you felt was good enough to show fellow flyfishers?
I know, plenty of questions, but, what the heck, better ask first than be sorry later.