+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cortland Syllk Lines

Default Cortland Syllk Lines

Im looking to buy a line for my new bamboo rod projects. Im leaning towards the synthetic silk line from Cortland. I know that there is probably no comparison to the real silk lines but I would like some feed back from those that have them. I just cant afford to pay 100 + bones for a fly line right now.

Thanks,
    Seege

Default I hate them

I got one when they first came out because they were touted as a great cold water line due to staying supple. That was absolutely true.

The problem was that mine lost it's slick coating really quickly (within a few weeks of almost daily fishing in the evenings) and it had little bumps everywhere. I thought it was only mine or the fact that it was a 2 weight, but I know two other guys that had the exact same experience with 4 and 5 weights, all DT's.

With the little bumps and lost coating, it sounded like a wire cord going through the guides when casting and even worse with a fish on.

It's a shame too. The first night I fished the line, I loved how well it casted and the lack of memory in cold (in the 30's) water. The only problem I had from day one was that it didn't float very well.

Maybe they have made some improvements since then, but I am afraid to waste another 50 some bucks to find out.
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

I have one I use on my 4wt small stream rod (graphite) and a friend of mine uses one on his bamboo 4wt.

I like it a lot, it's currently a favorite for fishing dry flys on a small stream. I really notice the more supple line. After 2 seasons I don't notice any problems with the coatings.

A third buddy of mine doesn't like his because he feels it tends to foul around his tip when reeling hard (a symptom of the extra limp line?)

I can't compare it to silk lines, I havn't had the chance to fish a $100 line either...not sure I want to, might be habit forming.

Default Where you been man??

Seege,

I have a 4 wt DT line on the Bamboo rod I got from Jerry Drake. You want to cast it let me know. You back in the Fort again? Get ahold of me sometime. Love to talk to you again. I'm still on nights, but ging to days in 2 weeks.

Cortland has made a number of changes to the line since it's release because of the feedback they received from users. I can say that the Sylk lines being produced now are much better then the first runs. Cortland has been very good with backing their product and if you have an issue think about contacting them info@cortlandline.com

Joe Fox

I have a newish one and am quite happy with it, it is very supple and handles well on my boo. I don't use it a lot tho so am not a great judge.

I have it in 2, 4 & 5 in both WF and DT. It is soft smooth and no problems at all....except, the tip sinks on all of them. I have fixed that by putting HI-FLOTE tippet on as a butt section.
    So many new lines to choose from any more, I have to add two more if you are looking for a small diameter line that stays soft in cold temps. There is the Orvis Superfine but it only comes in WF and there is Rio Selective Trout II which is quickly becoming my favorite. Plus with the new II you can get the Selective Trout cheap. I think they have made it slicker on the II. But, I did get my ST II off ebay for $35.

Is the selective trout a small diameter line? I need something to fish on an old rod I just got which has really small guides, but its gotta be a 5 or 6 wt.

+ Reply to Thread