+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watching Ward Bean

Hybrid View

Default Watching Ward Bean

Okay, I was not sure if I should put this here or in the Fly tying forum, but since he lives just across the river in Council Bluffs, and mostly ties warm water stuff, I figured that this would be the place.

If you have not perused his site, it is well worth it. Lots of flies and ideas for warm water stuff. I am gonna give some a try in my quest for larger Gills this year. The main site is here: http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com

He tied a fly that I am really looking forward to trying this spring and summer fro Crappie and Bass and whatever else eats minnows. If you get a chance, give it a look and a tie. http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns3.asp?page=30

Man, I wish you all coulda been there, we just got a bunch of guys together for a tie-in and some furled leaders. Ward got an invote and was extremely nice to come show us his stuff. If you get a chance to watch him tie, I'd say do it!
    Don Rolfson

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link. I am intrigued by his Soft Hackle Woolly Worm.

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns4.asp?page=19

I think he may be right when he says it fishes even better than a woolly bugger.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Don,

I have tied and used the Soft Hackle Woolly Worm and you need to tie some up. It works very well on trout and bluegill. The tying instructions are good and it is fairly easy to tie. The only thing I have changed is that I tie it in "reverse". By that I mean I start the dubbing and first hackle at the front of the hook so that I end up with the bobbin holder and tying thread at the rear. That way I can palmer the thread through the hackle and body to the front and then do my whipfinish. I only do that to reinforce the hackle. I do that on most of my flies rather than use ribbing wire. I am not recommending that to anyone. It is just the way I like to do my flies. As long as you make sure to use thread that is is pretty much the same color as the body, you will never see it. When I have used ribbing wire I find that the small teeth of the fish will pull the ribbing wire towards the bend and ruin the fly. The thread seems to sink into the body more and my flies hold up better. Just my thoughts and my way only and nothing more...
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Wow, great response! He said he will be at the Sowbug later this year too, so if you are going there, make it a point to stop by his station. (After Rick's of course! We shoulda tried to get Rick to come on over too, but Council Bluffs is a ways from Lamoni just for a couple hours of tying.)

I have been eyeing the SEM flies for big deep gills this year.

Hmm, I wonder if he knows about our little corner of the Web here. . . . Might just have to point it out in case. . .
    Don Rolfson

Blog Entries

If you miss him at the Sowbug Roundup, he will be at the Smallmouth Rendezvous in Talequah, OK in May.
    http://www.oksmallmouthbass.com/
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Thanks Don

That is good stuff. Always nice to be inspired!

Allow me to "second" Don's compliments to Ward. Great evening.

Among the many tips I picked up watching Ward, and certainly one worth sharing, was the "gadget" he used in place of hackle pliers. It looked like a slightly oversized plastic golf tee with a tiny spring-loaded wire clip on the pointed end. Ward explained they were "Mini Test Clip Adapters" from Radio Shack. I bought a two-pack (item #270-344B) the next morning for about $3.50. They're lightweight and don't break the stem -- far superior to the hackle pliers that came with my original kit!

As if it needs to be "backed up," Ward did a great job. FAOL has some competition for my time. I am in love with his site and he is even more personable and fun to watch in person.

I asked him to do a couple of flies that I like (I am more of a visual learner) and he did them excellent. He involved me and asked questions as to why he was doing certain steps. It gave me a whole new view on tying and now I think, "Oh, this will accomplish this and that will make the fly act like that." It was great learning from him.

I was able to learn the PlanB, the Red-faced Wobbler and the Bean's Baitfish. I have had tying withdrawals ever since

We were very fortunate to have him and I hope that this is not my last time to learn at his vise.

OBG, thanks for bringing the furling stuff! Excellent job!

Thanks a ton Ward!!!

Scott

I discovered his web site this past year, and bought materials specifically to tie some of those flies. He does not list tying instructions for flies that are pending publication (in Fly Tyer, I guess). But he is extremely prompt in sending a pdf with instructions if you send him email.

If you do that, he will put you on an email list that he uses to notify people of new stuff on his web site.

I discovered his web site this past year, and bought materials specifically to tie some of those flies. He does not list tying instructions for flies that are pending publication (in Fly Tyer, I guess). But he is extremely prompt in emailing a pdf with instructions if you ask for them in email.

If you do that, he will put you on an email list that he uses to notify people of new stuff on his web site.

+ Reply to Thread