+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improve Fly Fishing?

Hybrid View

Default Improve Fly Fishing?

Hi there in her article Ladyfisher asks how can we improve fly fishing as a sport? Personaly I think the answer is easy, I need to fly fish more often! No realy what else could be an improvement? I have nice rods, nice reels and lovely flies and fishing trinkets of all sorts, I would just love to use them more often!
    Anyone else see any improvement needed?
    All the best.
    Mike.

Hi,

I agree with Mike. The only thing that could improve it for me would be to be able to get out more often! I know that getting into tying my own flies has greatly increased my enjoyment of fly fishing, but that simply reflects my getting more involved in the activity.

I suppose though, one thing I would like to see would be waders, with soles that provide the grip of felt, but don't stay wet the way felt boots do. With didymo in the South Island, this would be a help towards reducing it's spread.

- Jeff

On another site I belong to there's a rather heated discussion where one gentleman insists that weighted flies and weight added to the line should be banned.
    This, he claims, will give the fish more of a fighting chance as it will make it harder to get a fly down into the "zone" and the fish will have a sanctuary where they are not continuously harassed

He has a point. It very likely would improve the fishery
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Fewer barbed hooks

More catch and release, single hook only areas

Stiffer penalties for leaving garbage on the bank

More money for stream restoration & habitat improvement

More anglers who respected private property rights and didn't leave their trash around and were able to pick up after themselves (yes, even fly fishermen)

More access to water by private land owners (see above).

Less focus on trout and more focus on warm water species to get more anglers into the sport.

Less of an elite attitude (if a person wants to eat a fish, let them take it home, fry it up, and enjoy without being made to feel like they just committed the unforgivable sin).

Better enforcement of game laws (so that people taking fish home to eat do it within the law).

Better manners from other fishermen while on the stream. Some fishermen think they are required to use words that start with "F" and end with "K" at least three times in every sentence. These guys are typically the loudest talkers on the lake/stream. It's not a lot of fun to take a child fishing and introduce them to the sport with that much foul language around. If you need to curse, do it in your car on the way to the stream or on the way home, don't shout it out while on the water. It really does make you look like a fool.

Drop the snobbish "fly fishermen don't do that" attitude. Yes, we do and I've seen / heard plenty on the water from trash to drunkeness, to foul language, to rudeness.

OK, off my soap box now. I suppose the best way to improve fly fishing is to remember the golden rule.

'nuff said.

Jeff

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Better wheel chair access sties, better advertised.

Better stream management. ( easy to say harder to do )

Huge fines for the bucket brigade.

More kids and Grandparents only areas set aside .

A few more "free family days"

Free licence fees for visiting Canadians and a complimentary beer.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    On another site I belong to there's a rather heated discussion where one gentleman insists that weighted flies and weight added to the line should be banned.
    This, he claims, will give the fish more of a fighting chance as it will make it harder to get a fly down into the "zone" and the fish will have a sanctuary where they are not continuously harassed

He has a point. It very likely would improve the fishery
    dudley,
    That particular gentleman? Did he work part time for PETA?
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

anything to improve fly fishing as a SPORT? no. improving the fly fisherman, and the fishing regs. yes

Less focus on trout and more focus on warm water species to get more anglers into the sport.

One of the problems with this is the circle of the magazines not having articles on warmwater fishing, becasue the cataloges done't carry warmwater flies. They say there are not as many warmwater flies as trout or saltwater flies.

But how do you increase the number of warmwater flies in catalgoues if the big houses will not carry them?

Off my rant now.

Rick

Smile how can we improve fly fishing

I dont know if what I say will help but it might. The next time you are on the trout stream and you see some one beating the water trying to learn to cast and be a fly fisherman. Dont shake your head and smile or say something smart to your buddy. Give him some of your time and help him in a polite way

standstall

+ Reply to Thread