+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Southern Alberta Winter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by HMD View Post
    Both are great possiblitys, The only thing with heading to crowsnest is the travel time. How long do you guys figure it is from Edmonton to Crowsnest.
    I've done this trip a few times and it's pretty hard to do it in less then 5 hours. From Edmonton it's three hours to Cowtown (that's without stopping in Red Deer). Add a 1/2 hour if you stop. It takes a 1/2 hour to get through Cowtown (if you don't stop) and two hours to the Crowsnest. If you push it you could shave off 1/2 hour (not that I would condone such a thing). If it's a one day trip, it a tough one. I have a hard time even doing the one day Calagary trips now-a-days but they are fun and there's very little pressure on the river in March.

Cheers,
    Doc
    "What a tourist terms a plague of insects, the fly angler calls a great hatch."

Fly Fishing Edmonton & Stillwater Adventures

Looks like due to logistics with all the rest involved in a trip, I think we might only be day tripping the Bow instead of heading all the way to the Crowsnest.

THat is unless my bro in law's friend comes too and he buys the new camper he is planning for spring by then.

I have never fished either river so it'll be all good for me eitherway. So in interest of trip planning: Where should we plan on going if we only get to the bow ? And what are considered must haves for flies?

On another note for Brent, did you recently get published in The Canadian Fly Fisher with a great lookin bull? Was just Flippin through the new issue today and droolin over fish pics and seen that one.

-Hillard

Blog Entries

Hillard

That sounds like a sound decision, more time on the water...

Have been seeing lots of fish on the Crow, but the catching is poor

But am going out tomorrow (tues) to give the fish another chance to be friendly

If things turn out different and you want to come down this way in March just let me know.

I am sure that Brent will have a list of flys and spots for you to try.

Good luck and Tight lines,

PS getting lots of snow this winter and hoping to have a great time this summer...
    Last edited by flyfishfairwx; 02-19-2008 at 05:37 AM.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Lots of snow is good, but it seems like spring is comming early here, Its been warm for the past week and it looks like some of the snowpack on the eastern slopes is starting to melt. Could be an early breakup and warm spring to come.....here atleast

-Hillard

+ Reply to Thread