+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backbone of the World - Native Waters

Default Backbone of the World - Native Waters

Roger:

I love all your articles, yet this series is something special, in a way you are taking the journey you father always wanted to go on (yet did not).

I understand your fear of heights, I suffer with the same problem, that is why I went "Airborne" in the U.S. Army, and later got my private pilots license. Not to get over my fears, but to face them and lessen their impact in my life.

I remember "Jump Week" in "Airborne Class", we had to make 5 jumps to graduate. On the day of my 5th and final jump, I was lined up on the tarmac, waiting to board the C-130 we were going to jump from. The Jump Master (Old Grizzly Master Sergeant) came down the line checking out everyone's jumping gear.

He stopped in front of me and said, "I suppose I will have to kick you off of my airplane today, just as I have the last 4 days! Am I correct in my assumption, Private?"

I looked the Jump Master straight in the eye and said, "Jump Master, the chances of the same situation that occured on the previous 4 jumps,most likely will happen again! At least you don't have to kick me on to you airplane, that I do willingly!"

He just looked at me, and tilted his head back and roared the largest laugh you can imagine.

You should visit the Black Hills, very Holy Land for Native American Tribes. Be glad to take you there and show you around.

~ Parnelli
    Chartered Member of "Friends of FAOL"!

Down in the meadow in a little bitty pool
    Swam three little fishies and a mama fishie too
    "Swim" said the mama fishie, "Swim if you can"
    And they swam and they swam all over the dam

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 01 August 2005).]

Steven,
    Thanks! That was a great story, too.

I will make those trips, for both of us, I have vowed. And I'll definitely look you up. It was a moving, incredible experience I won't soon forget...and I don't think I've seen the last of that part of the world.

Best,

R

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:2eb25]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:2eb25]

Roger,

I have to agree with Steven, you need to visit the Paha Sapa (Black Hills), and touch the center of the universe. It's one of the great "thin spots" that you speak of so often.

This series of articles is a wonderful read. It will make a great addition to your next book. There will be a next one, won't there?

REE

[This message has been edited by NoahsBoyz (edited 01 August 2005).]

Ron,

"The Way of Memory" is about 200 pages now and going strong.

Thanks, my friends.

RS

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:1d7e2]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:1d7e2]

Sounds incredible Roger. "Write-on"

Brought back some good memories of driving through that part of the country.

Rick

Very nice story Steven. I've fished the Bitter Roots with my kid brother, too many years ago. The "Back Bone of the World" was not far away. I remember going around a curve in the mountian road over a snow drift and my brother asking "How's it look over there?". my only answer was "straight down"!! It was Mid July, 80 degrees,
    and we were burying Rainbows and Cutthroats in the snow for dinner.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Thanks, guys. Four parts to go!

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:34cd3]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:34cd3]

Sitting here in this enclosed controlroom reading your article, well, the walls are still up but just barely. People have asked me how I can live here in southern WYO., "It is so barren!" they say. You answered for me. I'm only minutes away from "Heaven" and I love it.

Oh yea, I love to share it with anyone who wants to come on over, and up.

Thank you for making me want to escape, again. Only three more shifts before another long change!!!! Anywhere outdoors, here I come!!.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard
    Wyo-Blizzard

Byron,
    If they're asking about SE Wyoming, and think it barren..they've obviously never been there! Let's try to keep SE Wyoming and the Black Hills secret! It's all barren and there are NO fish in either state!
    Roger,
    We've GOT TO have a Fish-in in the Black Hills (even if there are NO FISH there). Your father will see the Hills through your eyes and heart. We'll be there next month for a few weeks, and I'll start checking places out (what say spring of 06?) Elliott...you game?

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread