+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pontoons with the Standing Platforms

Default Pontoons with the Standing Platforms

Does anyone have the pontoons with the casting platforms that you can stand on? I'm thinking about upgrading to one of those, but I wanted to see what people think of them.

I don't own one, but I had two to choose from at the lodge. Two man and Three man NFO.
    Very nice. Well balanced and easy to stand, HOWEVER, I did have to warn clients if they felt they were loosing their balance to grab the back of the seat, not the bar, cause the bar folds back.
    I could have 250 lb guy in the front standing and I was sitting level. Very easy to row.
    I don't have rivers around here big enough except the Green, where I would want to stand, so I am happy with my CC.

If I were to get one it would definitely be a NFO (Scadden's Skycomish) The new bladderless pontoons and aluminum frame make it light enough I can carry it.

A pontoon boat or cataraft is my personal watercraft of choice. I fish moving water that is mixed with rapids and rock gardens and a cat is my ultimate choice of comfort/maneuverability.

I have owned several pontoon boats, including kickboat types as well as catarafts and standing platforms. I still own one Outcast pontoon boat that is the traditional style. I also own a NFO Skykomish Sunrise w/ the retractable standing deck/lean bar.
    Personally, I will never buy another boat that does not have the standing option. I like it that much.
    My time on the boat is usually 50/50, standing and sitting. I have stood and casted thru some minor rapids. Standing to get a clear look at the water/structure and casting is far better than from a sitting position near the water surface, not to mention just standing up to stretch your legs occasionally. On 1-man boats, I like the ability to slide the platform under the seat and out of the way if I am in a rocky, shallow area. The boat will often slide up on a rock just an inch under the water surface and I can just use my feet to shove myself loose from the rock and continue on instead of having to take an oar and use it as a push-pole to shove off the rock. I can also row up to a rock/boulder like described next to a good pool and use my feet to hold boat position while I fish that area instead of having to drop the anchor. Then when into water I want to see better, I can slide out the platform and stand up to look at the water better and cast.
    If you're in the market for a stand-up pontoon boat, I'd take a serious look at the new for 2008 Outcast Discovery 10-IR model as well as the Skykomish from Scadden. The Discovery 10-IR looks to be a quality boat thru-an-thru. I've come to expect nothing short of good stuff from AIRE, the parent company of Outcast. AIRE has been building some of the world's best whitewater boats for years and their reputation is solid. And they dont make outrageous claims for their stuff either, nor haul it on a Harley! LOL........

Good luck in whatever route you go. Pontoon boats are loads of fun!
    Mark 1:17

I've thought alot abought getting a scadden with a standing platform, but have decided that it's not for me. I use fins when I'm fishing and am absolutely lost without them. I don't see how I could easily and safely stand while wearing them.

Kevin

I think that this thing looks cool: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...feat=8997-sub2

Rick

http://www.freedomhawkkayaks.com/Freedom_14.htm Check out the video sections.

Standing while fishing on my NFO Skykomish:

Mark 1:17

Clay, that is by far one of the coolest Kayaks! But I move with my feet and have hands free all the time.
    fly-chucker, I don't see why you can't stand on the platform with your fins on.

A club member of mine, has a Scadden boat with the sliding deck and loves it!
    He, started out, when he first got it with only oars and fins, (he's now, mounted an electric to it, and I'm just waiting for him to install a full set of sails next!?!), and he could very easily stand up and fish, while wearing his force fins.
    I've also traded off with him, just for giggles, (I have a Creek Company, no platform) and also stood while wearing my fins and fishing.
    Your simply, more or less, "straightening your legs and standing up" so there's no "moving your feet/fins", as in walking with fins on, with this style of boat.
    I can see, where if you think "you're moving around, on this deck trying to move while wearing fins, you're going to take a bath", but that's not the case with this style of boat.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default thanks

Thanks....right now I'm leaning towards the outcast 10IR...I like the platform that can slide back. I've taken my 9' fishcat down the Madison, Bighole, Beaverhead, and the Truckee and I want the platform to the lakes around here. I love my toon and its stability, but since my lack of grace sometimes causes me a dip once in a while, I really need to research to lower my unwanted river swimming lessons. Do you know if there is a weight limit to the platforms? and when the bar is stowed, does it interfere with storage? Sorry, I apologize for all the questions, but I have been spoiled by you people here........you know everything, and have been my go resource for the stuff I need to know...so thanks!!!

The one man, Scadden I spoke of above, is owned by a man that weighs about 260 and he's 6'5". The bar, when not in use, on his boat swings overhead and stows behind him, out of the way, at about a 30 degree angle, above the rear storage area.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread