Well, it was bound to happen, sooner or later........... the urge to go fishing for SOMETHING was tightening like a bow string, for a buddy and I and today it "Twanged" at last.
No metal heads, or Searuns currently in the local rivers,and way to high and off color, even if there were...... due to way too much rain of late. So, we compiled our "facts" and decided on "warm water" for a change.
Not only warm water, but we also decided on "OLD nostalgic warm water" fly fishing.
The easiest part of our plan, was the fact we're both "nostalgic" (read "OLD"), to begin with, so the next step was to also use older, less "new and exciting, gotta have it gear", so we both broke out glass rods and the most reliable fly reels ever made. I have an old glass fly rod, a Heddon, in perfect condition that's old enough its label reads........ "For use with HD or HDL line".
It's still encased in its original red, cardboard tube, with the metal screw on cap, that the factory issued it in. Bishop, the buddy I went with, has several quite old, braided silk lines of appropriate weight and once spun onto our Medalists #1492s we were ready to hit the water!

Sadly, we broke with tradition because neither had any true, gut, leader to use so we had to use hand tied monos in 9' lengths.
It was raining dogs, (because there was NO WAY a cat would come out in the downpour we started off in), but we still walked across the street from my house to West Lake, not even sure what we were after or what fish in its right mind, would be out on a day, like, today.

I suppose, it should go without saying, that BOTH our brides, just stood and started at us, shaking their heads, as we headed out, We didn't have to be subjects to their laughter, or to their snide remarks directed at us, for very long thankfully. Once about 50 yards from my front door, the pouring rain made it impossible to see them, clearly.

Reaching the lake's shore, we took a quick vote, between us and decided we'd probably have a little better luck at this "nostalgic endeavor" had we brought some flies with us, along with the rest of our gear...........
After returning from my house, brilliantly and smoothly, dodging the female laughs and insults, I once more was at lake's edge where Bishop had waited.
Well, I don't have a clue, like all my fishing trips, as to "what we did right" or, "what we did wrong", but to end this fishing story, before the reader's headache gets worse................ we fished for about 2 hours.
In that, two hour span, we hooked, netted, and released over 23 White Crappie, between us. Plus........14 Bluegill, 3 LM Bass and one VERY LOST Yellow Perch.
ALL, the fish, save 4, were of more than "keeper size" and one of the LM Bass went 17".
What a BLAST it was though, to just GET OUT finally!!
Using the older gear, was a lot of our fun and made the wet safari that much more worthwhile and enjoyable. But you'll have to become "Aged Challenged", some day yourself, to perhaps understand why I think.
We came home, laughing and kidding around and our brides merely started at us, in total disbelief. We were soaked, beat up from the blackberry bushes and hadn't had as much fun fishing, in a long time.........