+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Cement Question

Hybrid View

Question Head Cement Question

I have two normal and one stupid question for the head cement users out there:
    • BESIDES Griff's Thin; what other head cement have you found to be extra thin right out of the bottle? I know I can thin any brand but I am looking for something extra runny without thinning.
    • Has anyone had success with any of the water based head cement brands in regards to thinness, performance, thickening issues, etc.
    • Dumb question: What do you thin the water based stuff with; plain water?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!

Bamboozle, the one I like the best is Fly-tite. It's fairly thin right out of the bottle, doesn't thicken or discolor and remains flexible. Chris Helms put me on to this one. I also use several others but always have to thin them with head cement thinner. I haven't used any water based cements but I would imagine water would thin them. that's just a guess.

Just got a chuckle. I read the bottle and it says not to thin with Vodka. Oh well.
    Last edited by rookie; 02-01-2008 at 12:46 PM.
    Steve

Rookie:

That's good to know because I trust Chris more than myself! Did you get it from Whitetail?

I can't believe how hard it is to find more than one brand of head cement in any fly shop. Where I live all I ever run into is Rumpf I guess because he is a few miles way. Finding more than one brand in any shop is a rarity anymore.

Thanks!

Yes. I got it from Whitetail. I wanted to place an order and had questions so I called. During the discussion he brought up about this cement and I told him to throw in a bottle. I love the stuff.

Your right about Rumpf. Thats one of the ones I have to constantly thin. Once I've used it up I won't be buying any more.
    Steve

I tied my rirst fly about 44 years ago and the best fly dope, i mean head cement, I ever used is Sally Hansen's, hard as nails nail polish. It's the only one I've used in at least 15 years. I thin it, if/when nessessary with acetone. I take one of my insulin syringes and put a few drops into the S.H. and mix to the consistancy I want. I keep thin, very thin and original depending on what I need at the moment.
    If at first you don't succeed,go fishing, then try, try again.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Fly Tite here!

Hi Bamboozle,

I've used Fly Tite for five or six years now and have found it to be very satisfactory. It thickens with use like any other cement but thins EASILY with denatured alcohol. I like it for everyday use. When I really want to impress someone with nice. shiny heads, I go the Sally Hansen route. "Thin enough" is a relative term but I use the Fly Tite right out of the bottle for at least a month or two before it requires thinning. Try it, you'll like it. 8T

Fly-Tite is derived from rezins from plants and ethyl alcohol solvent and can be dilluted with denatured alchhol. Had mine for years and never had to delute. Dries clear and flexible Bill

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I started out tying in '69, and used fingernailpolish I bummed offa my mom. I used it forever and thought it was just great. Then, in '05 I took a fly tying class, (after tying for 35 years ) and got turned on to Dave's Flexament. Word was it was the Schizzle ! Well, I went back to nail polish last summer. I use Sally's Hard As Nails. I have clear, Red, and Black. See, actually, It's "The Schizzle" . Almost never gets thick in the bottle, and if so, it thins easily with acetone. I won't be swayed again...........
    I trim the little brushes a little narrower. and on the little flies I apply it with a toothpick.
    ...............happy tyin'......................ModocDan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    I have two normal and one stupid question for the head cement users out there:
    • BESIDES Griff's Thin; what other head cement have you found to be extra thin right out of the bottle? I know I can thin any brand but I am looking for something extra runny without thinning.
    • Has anyone had success with any of the water based head cement brands in regards to thinness, performance, thickening issues, etc.
    • Dumb question: What do you thin the water based stuff with; plain water?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!

I've been using it for a while. It seems to work well wnough so far. I would thin it with distilled water. The water in Nashville has enough chlorine and fluorine to ruin paint.

Ed

I have been using the Loon water based cement this winter. An incident with a bottle of solvent based cement in my lap got me looking for something I could clean up without destroying my liver (or other body parts). I'm not sure I like it, though I haven't had a chance to really fish the new flies yet.

Larry

+ Reply to Thread