+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simms boots/customer service

Default Simms boots/customer service

I don't know if you remember or not, but awhile back I had asked if anybody knew about stretching boots that had shrunk. A few suggested sending the boots back to be evaluated. Well I did, and they are replacing the boots. I'm a very happy customer. Their customer service reps are great to deal with. Very friendly and helpful. If anybody has Simms in their considerations for a product, custome service is one aspect of the purchase I'm sure you'll be satisfied with.

Tight lines
    Jeff

And thanks to those who suggested returning them.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin' fool View Post
    If anybody has Simms in their considerations for a product, custome service is one aspect of the purchase I'm sure you'll be satisfied with.

Tight lines
    Jeff

And thanks to those who suggested returning them.
    Good to hear they are headed that direction... I know we weren't alone in having some previous frustration with them while attending to similar matters, we actually dropped them because of it. It was a drag, love their gear, it sells itself.
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

Thumbs down

If Simms customer service is better now thay must have changed just now.I picked a pair of Simms lightweight waders.The word was these were the best I could get For the money .Thay leaked on day one. I returned them to the flie shop and thay sent them back for repair at no cost to me. I received them back in three weeks.My waders didn't leak(so much for death,taxes and leaky waders) I thought.But alas four day trips and same leak,same place. Back to the flie shop,back to Simms.I received them back.Six day trips some leak same place. Back to the flie shop,back to Simms.This time thay lasted abuot three weeks. This time I sent them back myself and got a call from Simms saying it would cost $40.00 plus the $25.00 for shipping to do the repair. I said to forget it and just send them back as is.The leak was at the foot to leg connection.I asked why I had to pay for this repair when it was the same leak in the same place from day one.Thay said it was for other leaks that I had even if I didn't know about them.When I asked what caused this I was told I fish to much ( these are LITE waders.) Simms never forever. My thanks to Back Woods in ft.Worth.I found out thay had the same charges each time thay sent my waders back but would not let me pay for it.

The Donn

I just had great customer service with Simms myself. I had a pair of the lightweight travel waders. I wore them maybe 60 days of fishing. Christmas weekend this year developed a leak in the crotch (not fun in SE PA). Sent them back to the factory to be evaluated. My cost for the shipping and insurance. Received a call from them a few weeks later. My waders were unable to be repaired so they are sending me a new pair. However, they don't make the style I had anymore, so I get the next level up. I have many Simms products and will continue to buy more. Their products stand up and if they don't, they stand behind them.

They've always given me awesome customer service. The whole process can be time consuming and frustrating, but they've tried their best to accommodate me with every issue I've had.

I have the Simms Ultra Light wading boot. Had them for a couple of years when the whole sole started to separate from the boot upper (right at the bend)
    I took them to Western Rivers (the dealer here) and for $30. they sent them back and about 3 weeks later I had not only a new pair, but the updated version. Have been using them for 5 years since with no problem.
    I have heard that the warranty is not that easy anymore, but there are some people out there that have abused it so badly, that we all pay.
    Another instance of this is Orvis warranty on their reels. People are buying them and using them for a year and returning them for money back or a different model, when obviously there was nothing wrong with it.
    I read people posting this act all the time.

Actdonn, this in NO WAY, implies you, or anyone on FAOL is being accused of "warranty abuse", but only to further what F-Goddess spoke of............
    I have 3 or 4 Scott rods. Used to be, if you broke a Scott tip section, you sent it back,(to have them match the rod's action. Of course, the rod's model would tell them what tip section it needed, but Scott's customer service is better than the "THIS, should work for you!", so they wanted your old tip.

Once sent back, Scott matched your replacement tip, with a new one they'd make. They would wrap it, finish it off and send both, the old and the new, tip back to you. All for only $25.00. A great deal and even better warranty.
    Except, when word of this became better and better known and fly fishing grew and grew........... it began to dawn on "the lower element of the sport", that............"Hey! Cool!! If I send my broken tip, BACK to Scott....... they'll send me a NEW TIP and my OLD TIP and I can simply put a new tip-top on my old broken tip and then have TWO tips for my Scott! All, for only $25.00.
    Unbelievably, in a very short order, Jerry Demure of Scott told me "We're actually getting our customer's rod warranty tips back.......... SAWED OFF, with evidently a hack saw, or fine toothed modeler's saw and the customers claim they "Slammed it in a car door", "Their dog ate the tip off", etc,. etc.
    Scott rods was loosing thousands and thousands of dollars a year, suddenly matching tips, putting on a set of upper guides, wrapping and finishing and shipping them out.
    Well,to make a long story, longer.................. if you NOW "break" the tip on your Scott rod, it's still only $25.00 to get a new tip. But, when you get YOUR OLD TIP back..............it's been sawed into two more, pieces, by Scott themselves and when your new tip arrives, it's exactly that............ a graphite BLANK tip, no guides, no windings, just the bare tip.
    As mentioned............ "a few, ruined it for many".
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Simms customer service has been much better for me than the pair of boots from them. With very few days on them the seams around the toe box were coming apart. I took them back to Simms and later that afternoon stopped by to pick up a new pair. This happened three times. These boots were self destructing, which was evident by the lack of wear of the soles. The third time the boots were replaced Simms replaced my waders. This was because the toe box seams failed and a pile of sand got in the boots, destroying the boot foot. I did fully expect to pay a pro-rated cost for the waders, but they pleasantly surprised me with new ones. The new boots however fell apart, but this time I took them to a shoe repair guy in town.

The zipper broke on my boat bag. I am interested in seeing how they handle this.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    Unbelievably, in a very short order, Jerry Demure of Scott told me "We're actually getting our customer's rod warranty tips back.......... SAWED OFF, with evidently a hack saw, or fine toothed modeler's saw and the customers claim they "Slammed it in a car door", "Their dog ate the tip off", etc,. etc.
    Scott rods was loosing thousands and thousands of dollars a year, suddenly matching tips, putting on a set of upper guides, wrapping and finishing and shipping them out.
    Well,to make a long story, longer.................. if you NOW "break" the tip on your Scott rod, it's still only $25.00 to get a new tip. But, when you get YOUR OLD TIP back..............it's been sawed into two more, pieces, by Scott themselves and when your new tip arrives, it's exactly that............ a graphite BLANK tip, no guides, no windings, just the bare tip.
    As mentioned............ "a few, ruined it for many".
    that must be only on sawed off tips because it doesnt say anything about that on the scott webstie!

http://www.scottflyrod.com/services_repairs.html

No, Norm, my 30+ years fishing partner, had the tip of his rod slammed in the tailgate glass of my Honda CRV when we were fishing in Montana last year. The tip fractured, looking like it'd been hit, hard, with a rounded steel bar, or bat of some sort.
    When he sent the tip to Scott, he got back a new, unwound, tip ad his own he'd sent in. HIS, returned in two pieces, neatly sawed in half. That's when we spoke to Jerry Demure about it. (And, by the by, don't blame Scott for doing such a thing either!)
    And, since we were both at the rear of my Honda, when the glass was closed on his rod tip, we KNOW that it must have been one of those very elusive "Montan'er Elves", that roam the area, because there's no way I would have done such a thing and Bishop, surely wouldn't have on his own rod, right?
    If you ever fish Montana, up around the St.Regis River area, watch out for 'dem elves! They're everywhere..........
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread