On Saturday at about 10:10 A.M. I lost my best and most loyal friend: my 12 year old Sheltie Kita. Friday night she had had a heavy panting spell but calmed down after several minutes and seemed okay. Saturday morning she seemed restless and began the heavy panting again. My daughter had put her in front of a low floor fan. As she stood there one of her rear feet (both of which had always been cutely pointed out a bit anyway) slipped out a bit on the hardwood floor several times and each time she pulled it back in. I called her name and she turned her head to look at me but did not seem distressed or in pain. My daughter then carried her outside in the shade and laid her on the grass where she hoped the fresh air would help but her condition quickly deterioated. I was inside putting a shirt on when I heard Mandi's frantic call "Hurry Dad". I grabbed my keys , ran out lifted and carried her to my car . We flew up the road towards the Vet whose office was about 4 miles away. My daughter held her paw and we both spoke to her as we rode pell mell up the highway. About half way there she took 2 deep breaths and was gone. Never a whimper, never a show of pain, never a complaint. Just took a last look at us and slipped away..
I pulled into the Vets parking lot and ran inside and asked if someone could come out to the car and check her. A young lady vet came out within seconds with a stethoscope and pronounced her deceased...I just had to be sure. She asked if I wanted to leave her there, or if I wanted to take her home. "Take her home," I managed somehow." The young vet carried her around to a side entrance took her inside and placed her in and then sealed a large black plastic bag . She then wrapped a small striped blanket around her..She brought her back out and placed her back on the rear seat of my SUV. I told her I had left in such a hurry I had forgotten my wallet and I would be back later to take care of the fee. She said there would be no charge. I thanked her and shook her hand keeping my tilted hat brim down so she couldn't see my eyes.
The ride home was slower, and quiet. I pulled into our driveway and just sat there for a few minutes while I gathered my thoughts. My daughter ran over to my wife who had just returned from the market. Then I got out, left her in the car still running and the air conditioner on and walked out back of the house to find a final resting place. I found a spot . Shady, near the shed and under some overhanging lilac bushes. The earth was bone dry and it took a while to do what I had to do. I slanted the bottom carefully so her little head would be facing the house she had lived in for all but the first few weeks of her life. I walked back to the car and picked her up, still as the vet had placed her there, hoping against common sense that there would be a little bark and I would joyously rip the bag open...Her little body felt warm and still supple in my arms as I slowly carried her out back behnd the house and that 'still alive' feeling made it all the more difficult. Then dropping my own foot into the opening in the ground I ever so gently placed her in her final resting spot. Everything had to be 'just so'. I carefully placed some more plastic over her and hand by handful covered her with the dry sand, seining small stones out with my fingers. When I could no longer see any of the plastic I stood up and finished the job with the shovel, letting the sand slide gently off it's edge each time.
Since I retired 4 years ago Kita (Nikita) and I had become inseparateable. She was constantly at my side. If I headed for the door she was there in an instant and if I were going somewhere without her a simple "Not this time Keats, Kita 'stay'." and she would always giving me just one more pleading look with those beautiful brown eyes. Of course It was a royal tail wagging reception when I returned. She was also a constant beggar and it was hard to resist those big doe eyes. Every once in a while I'd get her her own Quarter Pounder. A large bone from the butcher shop was relished for days.....
Now the house is silent when I enter. The cats look up at me indifferently as though they could care less. I am glad we had so many good times and glad of all the times I scratched her behind the ears or under her little chin...
I never thought a pet would become such an integral part of our family. I never thought I would love a dog enough to make me cry....I was wrong.

IP: Logged
drolfson
Member posted 01 August 2005 03:11 PM ??? ???? ??
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I feel for you Mantis. It s amazing how a pet like that can become so much a part of your life and family. There was a thread about dogs on the main board recently that does more justice than I could. It brought tears to my eyes many times as it grew.

I had to put our dog of 13 years to sleep last spring, and it still stings at times. We went camping this weekend to a place that she loved to visit. It was the first time sincethen and it was odd. Our lab that turns one this month sure loved it, but we sat around the fire and talked of the old dog too.

Don

[This message has been edited by mantis (edited 01 August 2005).]