+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how do you tie the adams?

Default how do you tie the adams?

here are a few versions of the adams i was tying up. i would like to see how do you tie this classic? ( good excuse to post pics of flies )

cdc body.

yarn body

cdc body and wing.

I like the traditional dubbed muskrat body like this, click on thumbnail for more detail.
    <
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 01-30-2008 at 04:55 AM.

Normand Guest

I do them th esame as your first one Ben but with a superfine body in the grey, as pretty much everybody here does. Sometimes (female) has a red silk backside.

Muskrat body, hen hackle tip wings. I need to get better with my close-up pictures...

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Smile Appreciate the Catskill tie but........

Ben,

While I have a deep appreciation for the Catskill dry fly from an historical perspective, I now tie Adams parachutes almost exclusively. From the perspective of tying speed, durability and attractiveness to fish, the Adams parachute is hard to beat. I also like the fact that hackle quality and hackle size is not so critical on the parachute version. Just my 2% of a dollar; I'm sure others will disagree, they always do! 8T

I agree about the Adams Parachute. Ties easier, floats better and fishes better. The original still has the edge in looks.

8 thumbs I agree with you. When I tie adams, bwo, pink alberts etc, etc, etc I tie parachutes. They are easy to tie and the fish just love them

When it comes to the Adams I love tying the fly in the Traditional Catskill style to the tee. I also fish this fly alot with much success. The parachute style is great tye and I too have a ton of success with this pattern. Keep in mind that the parachute sits lower on the surface and in the film to entice an a Trout that is on the shy stage.

The last pattern that I have not heard mnetion so far is an Adam Comparadun:

Hook: Mustad 9480 standard dry fly
    Thread: Danvile 6/0 Black
    Tail: Split microfibbets of gray and brown
    Body: Traditional adams body dubbing water proofed
    Wing: A mixture of light and dark Deer Body

Give this patttern a try, This pattern has proven deadly for me on the upper Willowemoc in the Catskill of NY.

Fontinalis

P.S. I always have the three patterns listed above in my dry fly box at all times. These patterns have become a staple in my dry fly fishing the times when I am not using a wet fly.

Hi,

For some reason which has never been adequately explained, I seem to tie the Adam's wingless. This is not because I tend to just leave off the wings on dry flies because I tie other dries with wings most of the time. I just realised that all my Adams are wingless.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread