Yesterday, I responded in a thread about our favorite scissors. I mentioned that I was looking for some made in the US, as I had discovered mine were from Pakistan.
I've been thinking about that, and I have something more to say...
I'm a metalsmith by trade, and basically do most anything with metal, fab work, machining,welding, whatever. However, I ply my trade in a Hardwood Plywood plant. America used to be the biggest builder and product manufacturer in the world, building everything under the sun, and most of our homes and lives were filled with our products. Not so any longer. For various and sundry good reasons, our manufacturers began "outsourcing" ( a new word, and concept, in my lifetime) and the trend is still growing. When NAFTA came about, I had a successful business in the ornamental iron industry, with a good customer base in the interior decoration business. In less than a year, I had gone back to work as a machinist, and had closed the doors of my shop with three employees, due to the huge price undercuts from mostly Mexican manufacturers of the same or similar products. I simply could not compete. NAFTA made it easy for these companies and Americans understandably were drawn by the lower prices. When this happened to my small business, it also happened to countless others like mine, many with far more than three employees. I've been fine, overall, and am still doing fine bringing in a living wage. I'm sure that's not entirely true for many others affected by the same factors. Now, as you all know our economy is in a downturn, with various causes. In the plywood manufacturing industry, we are particularly hard hit. In the low to mid grade panel market, which covers 90% of the home building needs, the Chinese have become huge players. I'm no "tree hugger", nor "radical environmentalist", but I am certainly on the side of being environmentally responsible, and managing sustainable resources. I am a simple, intelligent, reasonable, and conservative fellow. The Chinese operate their HUGE manufacturing industry with no regard for the enviromental impacts or overharvest, hazardous waste and byproducts, living wages, health and welfare, etc. This gives them a very large and unfair advantage in our new "world economy" I say new, because it has become so in my lifetime.
I started to mention the manufactured wood panel market.
In that market, on the low to mid grade level, which represents the lion's share of the market, the Chinese take on all comers, and they plain whoop our butts. In the Pacific Northwest, where I hail from, this industry used to carry the economy, and hold it high.
In the past twenty years dozens upon dozens of manufacturers in this industry, in this area, have gone away, never to return. These are thousands and thousands of jobs gone forever. We've all heard news about lead in paint on toys and other things we buy from overseas suppliers, contaminated medicines and foods, on and on. These are generally products from foreign suppliers also operating like China, with no environmental constraints, poor working conditions and wages, and all that I've mentioned. Yes their prices on end products are lower, much lower than many or even most domestic products like them. Often, the quality lacks also, but that is becoming less and less true. I have many imported items which are very high quality. My Dr. Slicks, for one.
Things are like they are now, and they are much different than I would have thought if asked thirty or even twenty years ago. Thing is, we are losing ground pretty fast here in the US, in many ways, I think. Try to purchase the things you do, buying only American made, and you will find it a daunting, if not impossible task.
I guess my point is this..... We are losing our manufacturers, and the jobs and livelihoods they provide at a pretty fast rate. We need to be concious of this, and protedt and support the ones we can. I believe this means making an effort to "Buy American" whenever we can, and to go the extra mile or even do without in some cases. The world economy, and the world wide manufacturing is here to stay, and we want much of what it brings and includes. The internet, for example. And, much of it is certainly good and desirable. However, I feel we need to balance things, and keep the manufacturere we can and support them. So, as soon as I can, I'll buy a nice pair of high quality made in US tying scissors, even if they cost lots more than my trusty Slicks. And, I will continue to make efforts to buy American. I know I can't always, maybe less than 50% of the time, but I will be concious of it, and do what I can. I guess I'm asking y'alll to think about it, and do what you can too....................................ModocDan