Thread: Help me pick a 5 wt blank . .

Threaded View

Default Help me pick a 5 wt blank . .

Hi All,

I would like to build another rod. I have been thinking about moving out my 2 piece rods and replacing them with 4 piece rods. The two piece rods are harder to transport in my smaller cars.

My main trout rod is a Orvis Silver Label Tip Flex 9.5, 9ft 5 wt. That's the first target to get replaced. I would like to build a nice 4 piece 9 ft 5 wt.

My secondary trout rod is a 9 ft 4 wt, 2 piece mid flex Orvis TLS. That won't go for some time as it's a very sweet rod. I used it on non windy days, and when I wont be throwing streamers etc. I use the 5 wt on windier days, and if I anticipate needing longer casts or large flies/streamers etc.

So I have a sweet casting softer 4 wt. I would like to keep the 5 wt a bit faster/tip flex etc.

My problem is the blank. I don't know how to select from the gazillions that are out there so I am looking for suggestions. I want it fast but not too fast. Something close to the 5 wt I have now would be fine with me. I don't need super fast/stiff, just something with a little reserve for some longer casts when needed. Typical Trout fishing is nymphing with some split shot and an indicator on the White River in Arkansas.

I don't have to have the cheapest blank on the market but I don't need to most expensive either. I am thinking about a St Croix SCIII. The IV is getting toward the pricey end I think.

I have held, wiggled a TFO Pro 5 wt and it felt a bit heavy. I don't know why. I looked up blank weights and it seems to be in line with other brands. I did not have my rod to wiggle for comparisons sake.

I am not familiar with with the Sage line very much. I have cast a few but don't know which fits the bill. I am not sure I want to spend that much.

I am likely to get a nice seat from REC or Struble and would like to make this a nice rod.

I am sure there are good blanks out there from Batson or other companies that would work.

I have built a rod before, just one, so I know something about doing this. I also have access to a very experienced rod builder for advice/questions. I also have you folks!!! The one I built before is a 7 wt, 3 piece, Scott Alpha blank, REC Saltwater reel seat and REC handle, and it's complete with my very bad handwriting!! It's my goto White Bass rod!

Is there a blank under $150 that fits the bill? Or am I dreaming, and needing to spend more??

-wayne
    Last edited by waynep; 01-28-2008 at 11:35 PM.