+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel Input Please

Red face Reel Input Please

I am a fan of Ross reels and I am looking at purchasing a new one. I have not purchased a Ross reel in some time and their product line has changed so I need some input from my fellow fly fishermen.

I am looking at either the Cimarron Large Arbor or the Rhythm for a 6 to 8 wt. The drag system is fairly important as I will be using this reel for larger fish and I will use it in both fresh and salt water. So some of you who own one or both of these reels, what are the pros and cons and what do you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Dr Bob

2. Default

I'm still using a Gunnison so my input is from other's feedback... the Cimarron seems to rate highter....
    However, knowing the Ross Customer Service... you can't choose a "bad" Ross reel.
    later,
    an Oregonian

I bought a Rhythm for my 8 wt to take to Belize a few years ago. It worked well on the bonefish down there and has worked well on the steelhead up here. I like that it looks nice, is fairly light and has a really smooth drag. I also like how it requires no lubrication, as the grease in my old reel (rocky mountain large arbor) used to thicken up in cold weather and render the reel useless. The one thing I don't like about my Rhythm is the plastic drag adjustment knob. It just looks kind of cheap.

I agree with Gutbomb about the drag adjustment on the Evolution. I guess weight was the reason they took that direction, and I am not sure about th trade-off. I am concerned about what might happen to it on a trip far, far away.

I have been told that the Rhythm and the Evolution are the same mechanically, and the E just has more machining and less weight. IIRC, the Rhythm replaced the Gunnison in the Ross line-up.

I use the Gunnison too, and don't know anything firsthand about the Cimarron. However, if you use google, you will find discussions on other boards comparing the reels, and people say that the drag system is not as fine tuned with the Cimarron and that it is harder to get dialed in. Thus, I am inclined to believe by the price-point and the internet talk (it must be true if it's on the net, right?) that the drag on the Rhythm is better.

I recommend that you call Ross and ask them.

Someone posted a thread on here in late Dec. before Christmas for a closeout of Rhythms at Bass Pro. They had a great price, but did not last long. The Rhythm is still in the Ross lineup this year, so apparently Bass Pro dropped the reel. The Gunnisons were closed out at great prices a few years back while I slept.

I went through this decision last summer with Ross reels. I ended up deciding between the Evolution and Rhythm. They both have the same drag system which is very smooth and greatly appreciated since I often fish with light tippets.

I actually chose the Evolution since I had quite a few Cabelas points but I am looking at the Rhythm again for another rod.

any ross is a good ross i like the rhythm
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

I'd go with the Rhythm 3 or 3.5 (depending on how much backing and over all weight you'd want). I have both and the CLA is nice but it has even more plastic than the Rhythm does.

I don't think you can go wrong with any Ross reels that are US made. I own 2 Evolutions and love them.

I've got a Cimmaron and a Rhythm and have fished them side by side and I much prefer the Rhythm. I've never really tested the drags on either reel against anything larger than steelhead, but the Rhythm is much better at picking up line quickly due to a smoother spinning spool which can really be helpful if you have a lot of line at your feet and a fish on.

Thanks again everyone. For the relatively small difference in price at the size reel I am looking at, the Rhythm seems to be the reel of choice from your comments.

Dr Bob

+ Reply to Thread