Chicken feed

Our price for our feed was $15.18 per C one year ago. This was an increase from $13.18 per C. November 2007.
During this past year we have had it increase two more times. Went up to$19.18 per C, then up to $23.18 in November 2007.

I had this feed formulated by a now retired head Vet from Purina Mills Labs 11 years ago. Designed to produce Feathers, not eggs or meat. I have changed this formula several times to make it better. It is the best feed for my use I feel.

We have never increased our hackle prices. It has been the same 11 years ago as it is presently. What to do? I sure would like some feed back (no pun intended) from my customers.

This feed produces the best top quality hackle for us. Of course we see the fuel prices today costs me more to go to my mill and transport it to the Ranch or have them deliver it, 3 tons at a time and that cost has gone out of site also.

The other thread about costs sugests our electricity has also gone up. The lights in the barn, incubator and hatcher electricity usage is also up. It has big time I assure you.

Perhaps the answer is to produce fewer birds. We have already cut back production. May have to cut more.
As many of you know we do breed for colors no one else breed for. Some of these breedings take several generations to produce. This adds to the numbers, space and the one thing we do not talk about, labor.

For Liz & I it is a labor of love. I?m glad I am retired. We do not want to destroy this flock. It is an option we are not willing to think about yet.

I started this thread because I do not like to see another thread h-jacked.

You asked and I am looking foreword to input from all of you.

Denny